Is the python actually worth it?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

But you still don't need it...if you have a lid
Yes. I was just saying that it's mostly used for filling because they were saying to use it for emptying a tank... Never thought of it as an attachment to do that.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think I would have a problem with the Python and this is what had put me off getting one.
Refilling is the toughest part for me and I believe that there is a threaded device that screws onto your tap? Clearly there will be a big temperature difference if just using the cold tap, surely you can't screw onto mixer tap if the hot water comes from a copper cylinder as it would be potentially toxic?
A second issue is that I have a water softener so the only suitable supply is via an untreated 'lab tap' style tap which I assume the Python wouldn't attach to? An alternative would be to attach to the garden tap (which isn't particularly convenient for me) or temporarily bypass the softener by closing the bypass valves. However that wouldn't effect the hot water (which would still be potentially toxic from the copper) as that would still come from a reservoir of softened water.
I've never heard of anyone mention these issues before but would imagine that they are quite common. Am I missing something?

didnt spill a drop ;-)
Well done!

Did you match your tap temp and tank temp as closely as possible? I have a method I use that may help, but you'll need a digital pocket thermometer, 10-$12 from Amazon...

Well done!

Did you match your tap temp and tank temp as closely as possible? I have a method I use that may help, but you'll need a digital pocket thermometer, 10-$12 from Amazon...
Yes I did. I have a pretty accurate way: My fingers lol. I used a thermometer for a while then I pretty much memorized how 78 degrees feels :) Whats your method?

Yes I did. I have a pretty accurate way: My fingers lol. I used a thermometer for a while then I pretty much memorized how 78 degrees feels :) Whats your method?
I used to use the "feel" method too, until I killed 4 perfectly healthy fish, and wounded several others, by using water that was too warm.

I put the fill tube into the sink, where the other hose end is attached. Run the hot/cold water while holding the thermometer in the stream of the Python, adjusting the temps until the tap matches the tank; close the shutoff valve, carry the fill tube to my tank(s), then fill....when the tanks are full, close the shut-off again, carry back to the sink, SHUT OFF THE WATER (pressure builds in the hose while the valve is closed), then slowly open the valve to allow the pressurized water to escape...reverse the green venturi pump, and use faucet flow to empty the hose for storage.

If you have sensitive fish, use a thermometer. The sense of temperature is easily fooled by relative temps rather than absolute. To demonstrate this take three containers of water with hot, cold, and room temperature water. Put your hand or a fingers in the hot and cold containers for a minute. Remove them and place them in the room temperature container and note the difference in temp perceived by each hand.

I used to use the "feel" method too, until I killed 4 perfectly healthy fish, and wounded several others, by using water that was too warm.

I put the fill tube into the sink, where the other hose end is attached. Run the hot/cold water while holding the thermometer in the stream of the Python, adjusting the temps until the tap matches the tank; close the shutoff valve, carry the fill tube to my tank(s), then fill....when the tanks are full, close the shut-off again, carry back to the sink, SHUT OFF THE WATER (pressure builds in the hose while the valve is closed), then slowly open the valve to allow the pressurized water to escape...reverse the green venturi pump, and use faucet flow to empty the hose for storage.
If you have sensitive fish, use a thermometer. The sense of temperature is easily fooled by relative temps rather than absolute. To demonstrate this take three containers of water with hot, cold, and room temperature water. Put your hand or a fingers in the hot and cold containers for a minute. Remove them and place them in the room temperature container and note the difference in temp perceived by each hand.
I guess ill be using a thermometer from now on. Wouldnt want to needlessly kill a fish.

I took the shut off valve off the python as I didn’t see the point of it really.
For getting the temperature correct simply run the tap water through the python connection for a minute,judging the temp as closely as you can,stick a thermometer in a basin checking the temp as the basin fills.Adjust taps til it’s spot on the same temp as the tank water then close the bit that pushes up and allow the tank to fill.
I get a pretty accurate temp doing it that way.
Fish won’t just die because of a temperature change unless it’s extreme.If that was the case then there would be dead fish floating down rivers or in lakes all the time,and trust me ponds and rivers can have extreme temperature changes almost instantly.
Cold water sinks,so if your fish are usually near or on the bottom,but after a water change are mid water then the water was too cold and if it was too hot then they will do the opposite by swimming near the bottom.
Fish don’t mind temperature changes and will simply change swimming depth accordingly.

Last edited:
So i got a response.

Here was my message:
Hello!
I just received my python water changer and its a 50 foot instead of 25ft. Its not a problem, I'm willing to keep it but just wanted to let you know.

Here's their response:
Hello . We are happy to have you contact us. Thank you so much, Good night

I guess i can keep it?
"I'm willing to keep it but just wanted to let you know."

Yeah that sort of email says you lot gave me the big hose and I'm keeping it so blurrr :p

What you should have written is:
"Hi, I just received the Python gravel cleaner. I ordered the 25 foot version but got the 50 foot version. Do you want me to send it back so you can send me the 25 ft one?"

Then you would either get a response of yes ok, here is a shipment number. Just put it on the item and send it back. Or, Thank you for informing us of the error. Please keep the 50 foot model as a gesture of good will.

When refilling with the python, I wedge the fill end of the python under my Marineland 200 filter and it stays in place just fine. I keep an eye on it though while it's filling just to be sure it doesnt slip out - never slipped out in all the years I've been filling the tank that way. Works for me.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back