Is my tank alright?

my friend works at a pet store and checked the water for me and they wont give me credit i already know this the fish have to stay the question is will they be alright

Ok then.

No they wont. The clown may live, but not how it should. It should be in a group 4+ and in a much bigger tank 5' would be a starting size for the tank (may get away with a 4'). Pictus catfish I dont know that much about but I would think something similar.

Please get a test kit, even if you have a friend at a lfs its still nice to be able to reasure yourself that everything is ok.

When researching fish to get, always see what thier adult size is. I and many others say "I will get a bigger tank when needed" but that does not work. Search for stunting and you will see what you may do to your clown.

Please take this the right way

Jon

right - i've just read all the posts and the answers you want are there.

They will be ok - for now.

ok as in will survive.

BUT idealy...
the clown should have a few friends.
the zebras should be in a larger group.

so if you follow the rough rule of 1" per gallon, your stocked (ignoring the potential of the clown as you now know it'll need a new home)

2 pitcus catfish (5" each = 10")
2 zebra (1.5" each = 3")
2 neon tetras (1" each = 2")
1 clown loach (1" at the moment)

total fish size will be 16" + whatever the clown gets to.

That is a lot of load on a new tank (cycled or not) so if you have a test kit - make sure you monitor your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate over the next few weeks - if needed do waterchanges.

If you dont have tests for these - go out and get them ;)

good luck.

Look, here is the way to look at it. The clown will die in that tank eventually. You'll have stunted it till it eventually dies from it's inside growing too big for the outside of it's body, which will only grow so big because of the size of your tank, and then the fish will die. I don't care if the fish store doesn't take credit, that clown does not, will not and can not live in that tank. From what I've read, you need at least thirty gallons for pictus, as they get around five or six inches, and since they eat fish they're poop is just a little more potent than your average fish. Not to mention they like to have some room to swim, trust me, I have one. Take the fish back, let your tank cycle, and then we'll help you figure out what kind of fish you want that can fit in that tank without being stunted.

I don't mean to be mean, even if I come across like it, but you just can't keep fish like that in a tank that small for very long before they start to stunt.

FrAnK3333 said:
ive read that the pictus get to 5 inch but it also said it was alright for 20 gallon....i already know that the loach will get to big, but i also hope i can find room somewhere and get a 55 gallon to save it
check this site though is it telling the turth im confused
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/loaches1/p/clownloach.htm
Yes that link is true, I think you been given some very good info, already in here.

My opinion on this is, NO NO NO, please get rid of those fish and get something easyer, like guppies. Clowns are lovely fish, but can be very hard to care for.

I sorry but I predicting yours to be dead by xmas.

well then im confused why does the link say that clowns only get to 6 inchs and are suitable for a 20

Clown loaches do NOT get to 6 inches! They get to 12 inches!

taking what everyone is saying im pretty much maxed out. i was thinking of gettin my zebras friends of even an oto but i guess i cant :sad:

You should take back the loach and pictus cats - then you can get your suitable fish some friends.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back