Is My Swordtail Pregnant?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

John621

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been keeping fish a while and decided to start breeding. Obviously livebearers were the best option, I tried swordtails and have had my swordtails in a smaller tank for about a week now after they were getting quite big but they aren't yet pregnant. Was wondering if anyone could give me an idea about it? Thanks in advance DSC_0186.jpg

From the picture those look like platies but I could be wrong due to the fact female sowards look like platies. Not really sure what your question is though? Do you want to know if their pregnant or just want tips on breeding?

edit - Is your question why are they getting big?

My question is, are they pregnant? And if not do you have any tips on breeding them

They don't look too far into pregnancy if they are pregnant, but if they have a male with them, they will be soon. Livebearers are very low maintenance breeders, all you have to do is wait. c: 

John621 said:
Hi all, I've been keeping fish a while and decided to start breeding. Obviously livebearers were the best option, I tried swordtails and have had my swordtails in a smaller tank for about a week now after they were getting quite big but they aren't yet pregnant. Was wondering if anyone could give me an idea about it? Thanks in advance
attachicon.gif
DSC_0186.jpg
They are only the best option if you have a good strain that you can get your LFS to take and sell on, otherwise you are going to end up with hundreds of swordtails/platties.

Breeding can be hard if you don't have a good setup you will need at least 4 tanks for your fish as they reproduce. The way I have my tanks set up is 

1. Breeding tank with mature males/females - I recommend 20 gallons or more
2. Fry tank with sponge filter - 5 to 10 Gallons
3. Male tank - I recommend 20 gallons or more
4. Female tank - I recommend 20 gallons or more

Livebearers are the easiest fish to breed but that comes at a cost due to the fact they will over populate very fast because they have no predators in a non-natural environment.

Thanks, I will look at getting more tanks if that's the case. I know that there is a black spot that grows when a swordtail is getting ready to give birth but it's hard to see on black swords so does anyone have any ideas on what other characteristics I should be looking out for? Maybe even a picture

You want to watch out for them 'squaring off'; this is a sign that they'll give birth within the next day or so, although they can hold onto their fry, if they aren't happy; being confined in a breeding box or net is a common cause.

Squaring off is really easy to recognise, the fish will develop a 'boxy' look to her belly, with quite distinct 'corners', especially at the front. This can be less distinct in very young females, who tend to have smaller broods.

Thank you, I don't suppose you know where there are any good pictures of this?

Most reactions

trending

Back