Is My Platy Pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

laura91

Reaction score
hgjg.jpg

I got 2 orange platys, 3 danios and a pleco from the local pet shop in the beginning of january. Last week i noticed one of my platys was really fat compared to normal and especially compared to the other platy. Well tonight I noticed that she has a darker belly then normal and sometimes it looks like theres black spots inside. Also its been very quiet, hiding away a lot and getting chased by the other platy. It also has a white bit where it usually poops from.
I added a picture, hopefully it adds to this post so you can see.
It is very bad quality as I had to resize to add it to the post.

Please can anyone help? Do you think she is pregnant?
I really dont want to get my hopes up lol.
Thanks
smile.png

Thank you. Are there any kind of signs in the way they behave that are any indication they are due to have their fry? Its so hard as I want to keep them all so I want my platy to have them in the breeding box, I put her in last night, nothing happened yet, she just pooped everywhere lol. But I will probably have to let her out again this morning, I dont want her to get too stressed out. Everyone moans about the breeding trap way but when you have danios that are pretty aggressive (even without having fry) then its hard. I cant sit up there all day and watch for her to have them as i have a 8 month old little girl.

Well, if she is pregnant, she's not too near yet. A few weeks away, at least.

When a platy is ready to drop her fry, she will start hiding in decorations and become relatively placid. Also, they belly color being dark isn't really an indication of being pregnant, just full. lol. What you should be looking for is what is called her "gravid spot". It appears above her anal fin. When she is further along in her pregnancy, there will be a dark spot inside of her just behind the belly. That being said, are you sure that the other platy is a male?

Another indication that she is near, very near, to dropping her fry is that her stomach will go from big and round, to big and square. If she looks like she swallowed a marble, you still have a little wait ahead. When she looks like she's swallow a die block, you're getting close. lol. It's not THAT obvious, but you will notice the bottom of belly flattening out and forming more "edges". Near where she poops, there should be a clearish-white ball forming (this being when she is extremely close to dropping). This is her birthing tube.

Thank you. I have been watching her closely, today she looks very square, and she has got a white ball appear where she poops, it looks quite open aswell. Also she has a dark bit and when looking at her today I can see small black dots inside. She was getting chased a lot by the other platy and actually started chasing the other fish when they got close to her.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back