Is my Molly Pregnant? Or have Dropsy? Newbie here

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Hwalk5

Reaction score
I thought my Dalmatian Molly was male but it looks pregnant with a very bloated belly. It has been like this for a couple of weeks. Any advice?

Attachments

• E8A39189-9F20-454B-85D8-87769F840FE9.jpeg
    E8A39189-9F20-454B-85D8-87769F840FE9.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,854
Hello. First thing. Perform a bit larger than usual water change. Mollies need really clean tank water.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

If I look at the dorsal, it's a male. Are you sure that this ain't a balloon molly?
Could you make a better photo from the side to see if this one has got a gonopodium?

If I look at the dorsal, it's a male. Are you sure that this ain't a balloon molly?
Could you make a better photo from the side to see if this one has got a gonopodium?
1EE63D9B-90F1-4CCA-A806-1E22E3F8CC38.jpeg

A male, right? We got him in the shop as a small Dalmatian Molly and the others we have are all ordinary size without belly, they all turned black which I read is normal(?)

View attachment 317727
A male, right? We got him in the shop as a small Dalmatian Molly and the others we have are all ordinary size without belly, they all turned black which I read is normal(?)
Yes, it's a male...
To me he just looks like a balloon molly. Balloon mollies are also smaller than regular ones.
Mollies turning black can happen when they grow up. That depends on how high the concentration of dark color cells (melanophores) is.

Most reactions

Back