The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi.
First off there are some other questionable growth type things in this tank...

I think that I can successfully grow frog-bit now as I put it in a tank with a low agitation filter; the roots are getting nice and long but the roots seem to have roots and I'm wondering if the roots' roots are actually algae?

Please note that I think I see other type blooms or growths in this particular tank.
20200204_190806.jpg

Thanks!

20200204_193906.jpg

Which plants do you mean?
In the first photo I see stems of hornwort and elodea/erigeria/anacahris (different names, same plant) and possibly roots from a floating plant in the top right corner.
In the second photo I see bits of hornwort and a stem of what appears to be elodea with the leaves fallen/eaten off.

Which plants do you mean?
In the first photo I see stems of hornwort and elodea/erigeria/anacahris (different names, same plant) and possibly roots from a floating plant in the top right corner.
In the second photo I see bits of hornwort and a stem of what appears to be elodea with the leaves fallen/eaten off.
Here are two images that I hope will help.
The first is a close-up of one long root that I tweaked a little bit in order to hopefully make it more discernible.

The second is showing one of the clumps of frog-bit in the tank. Is the highly lit clump; top right corner. You can see the same long root that the detail was taken from.

I can try to get better pictures if these aren't sufficient.
Thanks!

20200204_190806~3.jpg
20200204_190806.jpg

I cannot see anything I would worry about. Maybe you could take a photo that is not so close up?

I cannot see anything I would worry about. Maybe you could take a photo that is not so close up?
Good idea, I will get a better image this afternoon. I do have one dwarf lily a banana plant and crypts.

Frog bit roots have a big stem with small fine side roots down the whole of the big stem. The fine parts can get algae on them but I don't see any in your photos.

Frog bit roots have a big stem with small fine side roots down the whole of the big stem. The fine parts can get algae on them but I don't see any in your photos.
Okay, that describes what I see as well.
But, as Byron mentioned, I want to get another image not so close-up. I'm concerned because toward the top of the root clump it gets more "fuzzy." My guess is some food may have gotten up in that part. Should I rinse the bottom of these plants and the roots with something to take off any possible algae buildup?

I think Naughts described what I see as side roots. But up closer to the bottom of the actual floating plant it gets a little bit hazy so I'm going to take a better picture anyway. I think there may be some sort of problem in that area because of the fact that food can get stuck up there.

Okay, that describes what I see as well.
But, as Byron mentioned, I want to get another image not so close-up. I'm concerned because toward the top of the root clump it gets more "fuzzy." My guess is some food may have gotten up in that part. Should I rinse the bottom of these plants and the roots with something to take off any possible algae buildup?
Just gently remove any gunk by hand.

The roots do have fine hairs. These can trap organic matter but it may also just be those hairs you can see. If you look into my tank from certain angles the whole thing looks cloudy. It really isn't - its just all the roots. Can't see any problems in your pics.

Should I rinse the bottom of these plants and the roots with something to take off any possible algae buildup?

As others have said to this, no. At the weekly water change, gently "shake" the plant at the surface and some of any trapped stuff will fall free. I don't usually do this unless it is excessive, and I do not see that here.

Hello!
Finally got around to getting a better photo...
Looky what we have here...

Attachments

• 20200206_194218.jpg
    20200206_194218.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200206_194410.jpg
    20200206_194410.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 20200206_194323.jpg
    20200206_194323.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 163
I believe those are roots off of your anacharis. Still don’t see frogbit. Frog it looks like floating clover.

Most reactions

trending

Back