What's new

Is my egg clutch ready to hatch ? It’s a mystery snail clutch

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Noodle332

Reaction score
This is on of my very first egg clutches is it ready to hatch should I crumple it?
3F1A0C01-92DA-4831-93EB-F6759CC93675.jpeg
first egg clutch is it ready to hatch? Should I crumple it?
5C3E2DAD-AB12-4D8D-B456-DDDBF09E4ADC.jpeg

leave them hanging above water and when the babies are ready, they will hatch out and drop into the water. if you crush the shells you will kill any that are in there.

Thankyou they actually hatched this morning and they are adorable I have some snail eating fish in my tanks so I put the hatched babies into a hatchery basket on the inside of the aquarium

Thankyou they actually hatched this morning and they are adorable I have some snail eating fish in my tanks so I put the hatched babies into a hatchery basket on the inside of the aquarium
First, I know absolutely nothing about breeding any type of snail but wonder if putting them in a hatchery basket will prevent them finding food.

It doesn’t prevent them from getting food I put food in for them I put Algea wafers and I put egg shells in. also question , can I put reptile powder calcium in for them ? To grow strong shells ? Or is that not good .

It doesn’t prevent them from getting food I put food in for them I put Algea wafers and I put egg shells in. also question , can I put reptile powder calcium in for them ? To grow strong shells ? Or is that not good .
Just curious... Do they come out of the eggs fully shelled and everything, just small, or are they more like tiny slugs that still need to grow a shell?

All snails are born with their shells unlike slugs snails have their shell on the out side slugs on the other hand have a shell on the inside snails grow them using calcium of their egg shells or in the water or foods also snails are all one muscle :)

Do not put reptile calcium powder in a fish tank containing fish.

If you want to increase the mineral content of the water, add a Rift Lake water conditioner at a lower dose. However, you should find out what the pH, GH & KH of your water is first. If you already have hard water, you won't need to add anything. A GH of 150-200ppm should be ample for snails to develop good shells. Keep the pH above 7.0 so the acid water doesn't dissolve their shells.

You can contact your water supply company via phone or website and ask them what the pH, GH & KH are. Find out what the GH & KH are measured in (ppm, dGH, or something else). Their website will have this information in a Water Analysis Report. You can post if here for people to go through if you don't understand it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back