Is My Driftwood Rotting?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

lolapetrovik

Reaction score
Over a week ago, I bought a piece of driftwood specifically for use in my planted tank that I am yet to build.
I can't boil it, because I don't have a pot that's big enough because this piece of driftwood is almost 20 inches long. So, I was told to soak it in a bucket for a few weeks to make sure it sinks and doesn't release tannins in my tank.
It has currently been soaking for 5 days and I have changed the water in the bucket multiple times.
Today, I noticed that the driftwood smells funky and is softening in a few spots.
Is it rotting? I'm super confused because it was labeled specifically for use in an aquarium, so it shouldn't be rotting.
I'm completely new to putting driftwood in my aquariums because the only other tank I had was decorated by those plastic ornaments from PetSmart, so I'm open to any suggestions or information that you guys might have.
Thanks!

Normally one would not expect rotting so soon, given that the wood has not been used until being soaked now. The softening is of more importance as this indicates a possible breaking apart of the fibres and you should never boil wood for this reason (I know you didn't, just noting that boiling would make it worse). Soaking in plain tap water (no bleach, peroxide, or any chemical) should not be problematic.

It might help to know the wood species. A photo might clue us in. I have always used Malaysian Driftwood in my tanks, with rarely any issue. Some of the lighter woods can be problematic.

Normally one would not expect rotting so soon, given that the wood has not been used until being soaked now. The softening is of more importance as this indicates a possible breaking apart of the fibres and you should never boil wood for this reason (I know you didn't, just noting that boiling would make it worse). Soaking in plain tap water (no bleach, peroxide, or any chemical) should not be problematic.

It might help to know the wood species. A photo might clue us in. I have always used Malaysian Driftwood in my tanks, with rarely any issue. Some of the lighter woods can be problematic.
Iā€™ve attached a photo of the driftwood here, and just to note, itā€™s darker in some places because itā€™s just wet there. I also canā€™t remember the name of the driftwood, but itā€™s a heavier wood.

Attachments

• 1F5AEFCA-006A-432A-82A1-79950F6E8988.jpeg
    1F5AEFCA-006A-432A-82A1-79950F6E8988.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 88
Iā€™ve attached a photo of the driftwood here, and just to note, itā€™s darker in some places because itā€™s just wet there. I also canā€™t remember the name of the driftwood, but itā€™s a heavier wood.
Most likely Malaysian driftwood. This kind of wood rarely never rots.

If the wood was initially all light coloured, it is not Malaysian Driftwood, which is very dark brown (some near black) dry or wet. I wouldn't worry about this unless something develops.

Most reactions

Back