Is it worth getting something to help with an algae removal?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, so I have had a minor problem with green hair algae and bba for a while in my tank. It is mostly caused by a large amount of natural wood in the tank, which attracts algae, and my light is not strong, I dont fertilize, there could be more plants.
I dont mind the algae that much, but maybe something could be done to help out with it.
Question is, what would work and what wouldnt and if I should

120x50x60cm
8 marthae hatchetfish
30 ember tetras
20 rummynose tetras
12 sterbai corydoras
5 bolivian rams
6 fat otocinclus that are used to eating vegetables and commercial food rather than algae

The b-rams are what concern me in terms of compatibility. I had two amano shrimp in there, they are not there anymore, either died off or were eaten by the b-rams. I have two nerites, one 5 year old, one 3 weeks in. Ramshorns are being eaten by the cichlids too, so not sure if snails are the way to go . SAE sounded promising, but again, what about the b-rams. Or leave the algae be and dont bother?

Attachments

• 1680104755381.jpg
    1680104755381.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 1680104755393.jpg
    1680104755393.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 1680104755405.jpg
    1680104755405.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-0872.jpg
    IMG-0872.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-0865.jpg
    IMG-0865.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 28
First, never use any algicide in a tank with fish or plants. Fish will be impacted, and plants might be as well.

Second, wood does not attract algae. Algae appears and will grow on any surface, some more than others. On wood it is not a problem, but once it begins to increae on plant leaves, it can become a problem and kill the plant.

Third, in a planted tank, all "problem" algae is caused by an imbalance of light and nutrients. Nothing else. It is dealt with by establishing or re-establishing the light/nutrient balance. The light has to be sufficient intensity for the plants, and the correct spectrum. This has to be balanced by sufficient nutrient availability. If the intensity/spectrum are suitable, then duration factors in.

Fourth, there are basically no fish that will deal with any of the "problem" algae's. The few that might have special needs...Siamese Algae Eaters are said to sometimes eat black brush algae, but this fish is a shoaling species so it needs a group (7 or more) and growing to 5-6 inches it needs a spacious tank, and there are reports that it may not be all that useful in time. Never acquire a fish to deal with a problem that can be safely handled.

Otos will not touch "problem" algae, only common green algae and diatoms.

From the photos I do not see an algae problem. It is the plants that you keep an eye on.

I can recommend several things to get to help with algae removal from the glass or from solid surfaces like caves or many rocks and heaters and even some ornaments.

Kent-Marine-Pro-Scraper-1ea-24-in-Kent-Marine-1661370508.jpg

RKM00975-2.jpg

315997_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1626912980_.jpg

And for the really stubborn stuff
41P7-nXsGFL.jpg

If you can spend a bit more then these work OK as well
41+3ctmV+XL._AC_.jpg

I have all of the above.

Remove the hair algae by hand. If you fix the source as @Byron suggests the bba will stop growing. I have it in one of my tanks on the wood. It actually looks quite cool and hasn't spread at all in the last 5 years.

Thanks guys. It is the green hair algae I mind the most, because you can see fish getting caught up in it. I remove it periodically and I have been making slow changes that may lead to a better balance. I changed the light from a 5 year old bulb to a new white led two months ago, so maybe it is slowly changing things. I also got a stargrass from another keeper a month ago, they now reached surface in two places and I split them to four more pieces, which will soon take over the tank.
It is strange, that most of the plants are doing so well, my cryptocoryne made so many new plants, my echinodorus are doing very well, the stargrass looks stunning and the algae does not care :)
I will keep on cleaning and removing and hoping that the recent changes will lead to some results in the long run.

It's all about finding a balance. Algae is the result of an excess light and/or nutrients. The trick is to find just the right level of light and nutrients to sustain your plants, which will then outcompete the algae for nutrients.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back