Is it safe to remove aluminum frame of an aquarium?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MrDankYT

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
1004-65-akvarium375literaluramnatur.jpg
The aquarium is a 100 gallon aquarium that has an aluminum frame like this.
It's really damn ugly so i'm wondering if i'm able to remove the frame safely? If not do any of you have any ideas to cover it up in any way? To make it look better? Thanks.

As a general rule, if the tank has a frame, you leave it alone. Frames can hold the tank together and help stop it bulging out sideways. Or they can be purely decorative. Sometimes both. Unfortunately there is no way of telling if the frame is for strength and support or decoration until you remove the frame. And quite often the tank cracks or breaks when you try to remove the frame.

If it ain't broken, don't touch it :)

You can use paint to change the colour of the frame.

You can't remove the frame - if you did, it would likely burst the day or day after you filled it! There's a fair amount of outward force in 100g tank and that one relies on the frame, especially w/o a center brace.
Painting black is a pretty good idea - black becomes invisible. I'd tape it off and use black Plastidip spray - don't like it down the road, it peels off nicely.

In addition to what others mentioned, all very valid, the frame also protects the glass. It is very easy to accidentally hit the top of the tank while doing maintenance, putting back the cover or light, etc, and if you were to hit the glass it would almost inevitably crack. The frame usually will avoid that happening, unless you really hammer it.

In addition to what others mentioned, all very valid, the frame also protects the glass. It is very easy to accidentally hit the top of the tank while doing maintenance, putting back the cover or light, etc, and if you were to hit the glass it would almost inevitably crack. The frame usually will avoid that happening, unless you really hammer it.
A very good point.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back