Is It Possible To Cycle A Small Tank Without A Filter?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AlitaConejita

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm betting the answer is 'no' but asking anyway :)

Is it possible to cycle a tank that doesn't have a filter? I have a 2 gallon tank with 1 beta in it, 2 fake plants, and aquarium gravel. I don't have a tank filtration system for this little tank.

Is it possible to "cycle" this way? (I am a total newbie so sorry if this is an extremely dumb question)

Idk but i do have concerns about your betta, unless your doing water changes evry other day you nned afilter and no matter what you need a heater.

also a tank that size is really unsuitable for a betta

If there is no water movement to facilitate oxygen exchange it will be a problem with cycling. It will likely be a problem long term as a home for the betta. It can survive but wont thrive.

Doing a fish in cycle is not simple, it is not a good way for new fishkeepers to go. You will need to learn about NH3 and NH4 and how to calculate them from your test kit ammonia reading . You will need to learn how to combat nitrite as well until cycled. You may need to learn how to do diluted testing as well.

The least appealing alternative in fish in cycling is big frequent water changes. There are better ways, but you need to learn the things mentioned above to pull it off.

And yest the fish likely needs a heater in there as well.

Hello and 
welcomeani.gif
 to TFF

First off I would recommend you have a good read through the beginners section to familiarize yourself with the basics of fish keeping. You will learn a lot in a short space of time by just reading through a few of the threads contained in that section. 

When you talk about cycling a tank you are not actually cycling the tank but you are cycling the filter that is running on the tank. As you have no filter on your tank there is nothing to cycle 
good.gif
 you will get some bacteria build up on substrate and other decor over time but not enough to process the waste your betta will produce.

ncguppy is correct in what he says, if you plan on not using a filter you will need to do as large as possible water change every day in order to keep your betta healthy, I would recommend you keep your eye out for a larger tank (5 gallon minimum would be best) 10 gallon would be perfect, it does not have to be anything fancy. Also you need to get a filter and heater. For the time being you will need to do the daily water changes otherwise your betta will likely get sick 
sad.png

Good luck and remember your fish relies on you for everything. 

Thanks for the replies :). I figured but hoped growing enough bacteria in the substrate might actually work :p

I don't know how to differentiate "survive" and "thrive" but I had a beta for 3 yrs at work in a 1 1/2 gallon tank and he is still alive (I moved so now a co-worker has him). But when I lived in South Florida, a heater really wasn't needed. Once again, I don't know much, so may-be the little guy is suffering. I did water changes once a week and added a half tsp of aquarium salt.

This current betta, "Jack Frost" was a birthday present for my 4 yr-old son from his grandpa. I've had him for two weeks now. I bought an API ammonia testing kit (the little jar with the two liquids you drop into it, shake, and wait 5 min) ... according to that, after 1 week, the ammonia level is at 0.25 mg/L (I did a 75% water change after that reading). I did do a 25% water change mid-way through the week. I'd been changing the water every two days, but then I read about checking ammonia levels and using that to determine how frequently to change the water and how much of the water to change each time(which is why I bought the ammonia testing kit). It's not laziness about changing the water, but it just doesn't make sense to me that Jack would NOT get stressed being moved around every day.

The water temperature ranges from 76F to 80F without a heater, though I am lookinging into one for the winter. I have a 5 gallon tank but that is housing two african dwarf frogs. That aquarium is in a different room and does need a heater right now. I have a Hydor 25 watt heater in that tank, do you think that model would be OK for the smaller 2 gallon tank? (I don't want to cook poor Jack).

May-be I can get a 10 gallon tank for x-mas or my anniversary in November ... but I think my husband has had it with my pet expenses this past month (I've spent around $200 mostly on the frogs). When I do get that 10 gallon (I'll look on craig's list or something and see if I can find one cheap prior to November) I'd like to make it a community tank with Jack and the two ADFs.
I've heard about bio-load ... but according to that, 1 gallon is enough for a betta. Do you think I could keep a few more things (snails/friendly fish/aquatic frogs) in a 10 gallon community tank - or would the betta and two ADFs be the limit? 

Thanks for all the help! I really want to be a responsible pet owner and model that behavior for my children. :)

i wouldnt keep the adfs with the betta, ADF are a pain to feed and most likely they starve as the bettas will eat of there food,tankmates depend on the bettas personality but dont think that 1 gallon is enough for a betta at the very least 2.5 IMO. There are heater for tanks those size so look for them.

ncguppy830 said:
i wouldnt keep the adfs with the betta, ADF are a pain to feed and most likely they starve as the bettas will eat of there food,tankmates depend on the bettas personality.
Thanks! That's kinda how I got the first ADF. My daughter was worried the betta would be lonely and the pet shop guy said it was fine to keep them together in the 2 gal tank I have the betta in. It didn't take long to realize that the betta was eating ALL the food and both would be sick soon (from eating too much or from not eating) if I didn't separate them. So even in a 10 gallon tank, the betta would still get to all the food first?

sadly yes you could try feeding the betta one side of the tank and the Adf on the other side though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back