is it normal for pictus catfish to swim crazy

csr mel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
they swim randomly up and down the tank sides really fast, atleast 1 feet per second, they have been doing this for like 8 hours non stop and i am wondering if they will ever stop? or if this is normal behaviour. they "look" physically normal and do not seem diseased or externally stressed.
i put some flakes in the tank which went to the bottom, the pictus catfish went bloody mad after the flakes, attacking them and eating them just like sharks on tv do, shaking their bodys and heads side to side ripping the flakes up. it was really quite spectacular too watch. now they all have marble sized bellies and the food did not slow them down at all. they continue to swim erratically up and down the tank sides.
its a 40 gallon tank and is really understocked. theres plenty of fake plants and places to hide as well.
the water temp is 66 degrees.

Yes they are very fast swimmers and will thrsah about the bottom looking for food....They are carnivores and should be fed a varied diet suited towards a carnivore....My five are crazy fast but dont worry its perfectly normal...any other questions about them i will be happy to reply :D

ÐR

Sorry, i missed this one in amongnst all the cory and plec posts :*)

As Digital run has said the behaviour is quite normal for pictus cats that are being kept correctly. When feeding members of the Pimelodae group of catfishes it is best to only feed two or three times a week with enough to them enough to make their bellies swell like they have swallowed a marble. More information on Pimelodus pictus here http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41743

Most reactions

Back