Is It Normal For A Guppies To Drop A Few Eggs!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Scales9

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Was watching my other female guppy she has been hiding in the corner of the tank, a few round yellow balls dropped out of her about four of them, are these eggs? Is it normal for them to do this before giving birth???

Was watching my other female guppy she has been hiding in the corner of the tank, a few round yellow balls dropped out of her about four of them, are these eggs? Is it normal for them to do this before giving birth???

i'd has to say yes.. it happens.. ain't much you can do aboot it.. they'll get eaten, don't worry yo..

Oh the neons got them straight away, so is this a full on miscarriage or is she just getting rid of some unfertalized eggs?

Guppys are livebearer fish, they don't drop eggs they drop very small baby fish.

And if you want to keep some of the babys then don't worry about loosing some to other fish eating them as they drop hundreds of babys a month! If you have male/females in the tank :}.

SchottayB said:
Guppys are livebearer fish, they don't drop eggs they drop very small baby fish.

And if you want to keep some of the babys then don't worry about loosing some to other fish eating them as they drop hundreds of babys a month! If you have male/females in the tank :}.

I have new born guppy fry from my other female and this will be the second drop from this one, I know they do not lay eggs, but she did discharge some liquid followed by 4 yellow balls. As I have never actually seen a guppy giving birth I wanted to know if they will drop a couple of unfertalized eggs before the babies come or if she was having some sort of fishy miscarriage?

hi scales, is she very young? My platy did this last week - there were 7 of the 'yellow balls' you describe. I got them out of the breeding trap and had a closer look. They were tiny babies.

From what I've seen (from watching both guppies and platies give birth close up) the fry are curled up in tiny balls inside. As they are being born the un-roll themselves, flick their tails and swim away. Unfortunately I've found with young mums some don't unroll on the point of birth and stay curled up - I have no idea why this happens. I had it suggested that my platy dropped prematurely. She's only 5 months old herself and I blamed that for the dead fry.

She went on to have 13+ live ones so don't worry :)

Akasha72 said:
hi scales, is she very young? My platy did this last week - there were 7 of the 'yellow balls' you describe. I got them out of the breeding trap and had a closer look. They were tiny babies.

From what I've seen (from watching both guppies and platies give birth close up) the fry are curled up in tiny balls inside. As they are being born the un-roll themselves, flick their tails and swim away. Unfortunately I've found with young mums some don't unroll on the point of birth and stay curled up - I have no idea why this happens. I had it suggested that my platy dropped prematurely. She's only 5 months old herself and I blamed that for the dead fry.

She went on to have 13+ live ones so don't worry :)

Not sure how old she is and she has already had 1 drop of 17 fry, she still looks fat and squared off but nothing els has come out of her, guess I will just have to wait and see if anything els happens.

is her birthing tube still open?

sad1.gif
Well she has returned to her normal size and shape so I guess it was indeed a full on fishy miscarriage.

sad but a fact of nature :sad: There will be more - give her a month or so :lol:

Akasha72 said:
sad but a fact of nature :sad: There will be more - give her a month or so :lol:

Nature is a cruel thing but would rather have this happen than to see fry who are not able to survive, I have 4 female guppies, 1 gave me about 18 fry a couple of days ago, this one, and the other 2 look like the could drop quite soon. So I will certainly not have a shortage of fry to look after. One of my boys is already shaking his stuff in front of her...bloody men... He could give her a few minutes after what she just went through...lol

hahaha, it doesn't work like that in nature though! My male platy was waving his bits at my female the minute she was released back into the tank. She just flicked her tail and ignored him though.

I only have 1 remaining male and female guppy (I don't want anymore) and I've been over run with fry this year. The last drop wasn't as bad as the one before - there was pushing a 100 little wrigglers and I really didn't know how to cope with them. In the end my trusty lfs came to my rescue and took them in :)

Akasha72 said:
hahaha, it doesn't work like that in nature though! My male platy was waving his bits at my female the minute she was released back into the tank. She just flicked her tail and ignored him though.

I only have 1 remaining male and female guppy (I don't want anymore) and I've been over run with fry this year. The last drop wasn't as bad as the one before - there was pushing a 100 little wrigglers and I really didn't know how to cope with them. In the end my trusty lfs came to my rescue and took them in :)

I give mine away for free on the local classifieds, I had aboutn12 emails in an hour when i put the last lot up for adoption so it is not going be be difficult to have the babies adopted once they are big enough for me to decide which ones i want to keep. Eventually I only want male guppies in the tank but not before I have experimented with a few different colours....

I am going to support Akasha here. Fry will unfurl and swim away while premature eggs, not really fry yet, will not. If you have lost some potential fry to a female dropping early, just go ahead and wait for the next real drop.

OldMan47 said:
I am going to support Akasha here. Fry will unfurl and swim away while premature eggs, not really fry yet, will not. If you have lost some potential fry to a female dropping early, just go ahead and wait for the next real drop.

Thanks old man, she is deffinatly no longer fat or square so I guess we will wait till next month and see what happens.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back