Is it even possible to safely keep more than one betta together?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bluebird42

Reaction score
I know this is extremely difficult, but has anyone ever successfully done it? I of course do not plan on trying this ever since they are solitary fish, just curious. Maybe if you kept a small group of females in a large tank with lots of distractions?

Type sorority into the search box and you will see that loads have. But definitely only females.

yes people have kept 2 males and females in the same tank. I had an 18inch tank with 2 prs and they lived happily together for over 2 yrs. The males even built bubblenests. It comes down to the individual fish. Some are pleasant natured and others kill anything that looks like them. However, the common Betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish) is best kept away from other males unless you have a very heavily planted tank and watch them closely. Even then it is not recommended to keep more than 1 male per tank.

There are other species of Betta that can be kept in groups. Betta pugnax is a mouth brooding Betta that grows to about 4 inches long. Betta imbellis was originally used to cross breed with Betta splendens to get more colours. Betta imbellis is sociable and can be kept in groups. There are a couple of other small Betta species that also live in groups.

These more unusual Bettas do turn up occasionally and you have to order them in, so have a google for different Betta species and then see what your local petshop can get in.

Is it even possible to safely keep more than one betta together?

Betta Splendens,Females Yes, Males NO.

If you want to keep males and females in the tank look into wild type Bettas

Heres one of my Betta sorority tanks.

I do know of one person who managed to keep 2 males in a heavily planted 6ft long tank which they had each adopted one end of. I wouldn't recommend trying it though.

Females can sometimes live together but each time I've tried a sorority I've had at least one ***** fish that has bullied the others mercilessly. I stick to one betta per tank now.

When starting a sorority its best to get young fish or fish that have lived with other females, and yes sometimes you get a fish that just wont play well with others.

A bit of chasing is normal, even a few ripped fins is normal and not a problem as long as the water conditions are good,

To keep a sorority you need lots of plants and I mean lots, it gives the girls some place to hide and breaks up line of sight, after a few weeks they settle down.

They all behave at feeding time.

Last edited:
I've been unlucky I guess, even buying tiny young fish all from the same hatching from a breeder I've had one every time that is just hyper aggressive.
We're talking fish covered in little half-moon bite marks, tails not just torn but entirely ripped off, pectorals ripped off, the lot. Gradually made the tank bigger each time I tried but it didn't seem to help.

How do you introduce the fish to each other?

If I add a new girl normally I float her in a clear breeding box for a few days before letting her go.
HTB1CkERHpXXXXXeXFXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg

I got them all at the same time from a breeder twice and a pet store once, all sisters from the same spawn that had been together since hatching from the breeder, no idea about the pet store ones, but the problem with those was why I switched to a breeder.

Are you sure they were all female?

And yes sometimes the fish is just not suitable for a sorority

Yes nothing ambiguous about those ones. All definitely female.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back