Is it a bad idea ?

Guyb93

Fish Addict
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
I’m currently keeping a pair of angels for a friends while he works away in my tank rather than mix houses to go feed them for him it’s only for a week and there no trouble but has made me think have I got room for another fish once they are back in his tank , currently my stocking is
3 electric blue acara
11 bronze Cory
8 Colombian tetra
4 geophagus
And a sailfin pleco
In a 5ft 500l
27c
1400lph filter ,
I want a green terror, don’t think I have room and not sure about compatibility I was think small around 2-3 inches to grow my self but once grown is it a bad idea , really not sure

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
what are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

green terrors will fight with the blue acaras.

watch the Columbian tetras because they are fin nippers and might chew up the angelfish's fins.

OP
Guyb93

Guyb93

Fish Addict
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
what are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

green terrors will fight with the blue acaras.

watch the Columbian tetras because they are fin nippers and might chew up the angelfish's fins.
I know it’s 5ft in length by 22inch by 30inch I think off the top of my head it calculates to 505l I did say to my friend that I can’t help it if his fish get a bit nipped , he’s ok with it as he said his one angel is a bit of a yano lol that’s my thought about fighting but I was hoping by adding a baby it would grow to be ok rather than add an adult that will challenge straight away

Wills

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn’t do an other cichlid in there how about some bigger characins like headstanders? Spotted, marbled or ternetzi would work nice

OP
Guyb93

Guyb93

Fish Addict
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
I wouldn’t do an other cichlid in there how about some bigger characins like headstanders? Spotted, marbled or ternetzi would work nice
I haven’t really looked at anything to be honest just there’s a beautiful male green terror in the shop by me big dopey dome head the lot and I’m hooked on him I know from a bit of research they are predatory and my luck with predatory fish hasn’t been great , just apart from my pleco all my fish are of an average size 5-6 inches and thought a Gt would be a great centre piece for my tank from my logic my breeding pair of eba will be fine as they are just a force together my geophagus are in a 4 and maybe as a collective they are not to be messed with .... my issue in thinking was Colombian tetra are they just future food lol I’m after a wow fish if that make sense

mcordelia

Fish Addict
Reaction score
What about some of the more peaceful cichlids if you want a larger fish? Blood parrots come to my mind but it could also be a total recipe for disaster too. There was a thread here recently of a BP with a texas chichlid in a community tank and basically everyone died/had to be rehomed. I don't remember the specifics but It didn't sound pretty. I do think your tank probably has room for more fish but probably just go a good bit of research and have a plan B in place if necessary, if you are going for a showpiece fish.

OP
Guyb93

Guyb93

Fish Addict
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
What about some of the more peaceful cichlids if you want a larger fish? Blood parrots come to my mind but it could also be a total recipe for disaster too. There was a thread here recently of a BP with a texas chichlid in a community tank and basically everyone died/had to be rehomed. I don't remember the specifics but It didn't sound pretty. I do think your tank probably has room for more fish but probably just go a good bit of research and have a plan B in place if necessary, if you are going for a showpiece fish.
You know when you have your mind set on something but everything thing is telling me don’t do it lol I tried an Oscar and that thing was just unreal , I don’t have a plan b , plan a was only in action because I’m a big kid and that fish will bug the life out of me until it’s mine or sold lol

Wills

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Didn’t you try a green terror before? They don’t usually end well. What about a thread fin acara?

OP
Guyb93

Guyb93

Fish Addict
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Didn’t you try a green terror before? They don’t usually end well. What about a thread fin acara?
I did have one without knowing I had one of that makes sense I bought two fish both were small supposedly Jack Dempsey as they got bigger neither were Jack Dempsey lol , I have always wanted a threadfin or a Cupid , I want something big and beautiful but that normally means evil lol

OP
Guyb93

Guyb93

Fish Addict
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Severums can be ok, if you get a young one and grow it up.
Have looked at a red spot severum and a standard blue acara I normally decide on visual in the shop but I’m thinking of making my first online purchase so I’m confusing myself on what to buy

itiwhetu

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Have looked at a red spot severum and a standard blue acara I normally decide on visual in the shop but I’m thinking of making my first online purchase so I’m confusing myself on what to buy
Check out my thread " Severums having fun "

mcordelia

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Youtube videos are also helpful in getting a sense of how fish look while moving

trending

Staff online