Is dumping fish water down the toilet costing me more money? (Uk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how exactly they measure it BUT we ARE charged FOR the outgoing water in my area... That's what my parents said. They said that on the bill we are also charged for that. Which to me doesn't make any sense but just the way it is
With that theory, you could simply dump/pump all of your wastewater onto your lawn or into a ditch, and not be charged for sewage ;)

With that theory, you could simply dump/pump all of your wastewater onto your lawn or into a ditch, and not be charged for sewage ;)
That would be disgusting and I would rather pay to have it taken 🤣

In the US , if you install a second meter for outdoor spigots, you can avoid paying the sewer charges for outdoor watering. But indoor water use does get charged for sewer .
Or, use a ground well to water your lawn, like I do...free water (except for the electricity to run the pump, of course)

In the end, it's all a moot point, if the OP simply dumped old tank water onto the lawn or garden

But the answer to the thread question is NO, the water/sewer bill will not be increased by dumping extra water down a toilet or bathtub

After all, the sewer charge has already been calculated/added to the bill when that water was drawn from the tap to begin with...so, it's not really "extra" water, at all...it's just been stored for a while ;)

Of course it would be...and impractical

That's why sewage rates are based on water usage, which is a practical method
But people want it gone so greedy people charge it cause other greedy people charge them to run the plant

Hi, I usually dump my fish water on a water change down the toilet. My water bills are divided into sewage and water use. Am I costing myself more money than just pouring it outside?
You are not charged independently for the amount of sewage, it's based on the amount of water you use. If you are on a water meter, you are charged for sewage at 90% of the water meter reading plus a standing charge. This is because not all the water you use will end up in the sewer, for example the water you use to water the garden.

I always offer used fish tank water to people I know who keep plants. Now granted, you would have to know *a lot* of people with plants to get rid of all your used water that way.

It depends on your system. You could keep all the water you use in bags for six months, and then see what the bill would be. By then, you would be a youtube sensation too...

I can't see how they would meter outgoing, so they must use a formula like @Essjay suggests. I am going to place my vegetable garden where I can water it via fishroom water next year. My water is unmetered, but I don't like being wasteful if I can help it, so we will see what happens. In another post I was reminded of the magic old water years of the hobby, and if it works, maybe I can market rainbow water for tomato growing!

Not gonna take a photo of the bill 😅
Why not? Just blur out names and addresses, even the dollar amount it you want, all we need to see is the water company and where it says what you’re being billed for (outgoing water)

I get two separate bills mailed in two different envelopes..one for water use and one for sewer...I have only one meter so sewer bill is based on all water usage include outdoor use

Last edited:
It's a common enough thing in many urban areas to have high sewer fees. They make it look like you are paying for measured use out, but in reality, it is part of the water use bill. They could just list it under incoming water use, but they divide the bill to make a point.

It is aimed at making you think about wasting water.

I've been trained - I have caught myself running taps more now that my water isn't metered. I have stopped that. I am surrounded by fresh clean water, but it does have to be treated if it's going to stay that way, and fees are reasonable ways of making people think.

If I lived I lived in one of the vast spaces where agriculture and industry have polluted the aquifers, it would be more important.

It seems a bit silly to ask for someone's water bill when it's so easy to look up how these things are done online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back