Is biOrb FLOW substrate safe for mystery snails?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

staysea

Reaction score
I just recently bought and set-up an 8 gal biOrb FLOW tank. I have had tanks (10gal and 30gal) in the past; however this is my first "fancy" tank. Right now my plan is to have live plants and one betta... MAYBE a small school of neon tetra. I would love to add two mystery snails; however, I have never used the biOrb substrate before. Is it safe for mystery snails? It seems like it would be too rough for them.

Thank you in advance for your help.

:/The substrate of those bio orbs are basically those alfagrog rocks, so snails should be ok provided there’s plants for them to go on as well.

Those substrate does not lend itself very well for planting at all. But you can grow java fern and anubias which can be attached to wood or rocks, meaning not actually planted and the roots left in water column.

And please note that a 8 gallon / 30 litres tank is not big enough for neon tetras :/

Despite their small size, they are pretty active little fish and so need quite a bit of swimming space.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/paracheirodon-axelrodi/

As you can see from that website, which usually has pretty reliable information that these tetras require at least 60cm x 30cm tanks, 15 us gals / 60 litres.

There are very few fish that would actually fit into this size of tank really to be honest.

But a betta splenden would be perfectly fine or even a shrimps and snails only set up which can be pretty cool little set ups :)

:/The substrate of those bio orbs are basically those alfagrog rocks, so snails should be ok provided there’s plants for them to go on as well.

Those substrate does not lend itself very well for planting at all. But you can grow java fern and anubias which can be attached to wood or rocks, meaning not actually planted and the roots left in water column.

And please note that a 8 gallon / 30 litres tank is not big enough for neon tetras :/

Despite their small size, they are pretty active little fish and so need quite a bit of swimming space.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/paracheirodon-axelrodi/

As you can see from that website, which usually has pretty reliable information that these tetras require at least 60cm x 30cm tanks, 15 us gals / 60 litres.

There are very few fish that would actually fit into this size of tank really to be honest.

But a betta splenden would be perfectly fine or even a shrimps and snails only set up which can be pretty cool little set ups :)

Thank you for the info! We were hoping adding the neon tetras would be ok, but the last thing I want to do is have unhappy fish. So maybe we will just stick with our one betta and 2 mystery snails. The snails are pretty cool to watch too. Really I was just worried about the rough rock substate being too rough/sharp for the snails. I hope the plants I have in there will be enough and will flourish for the snails.

Is the biOrb bubble tube too much current for the betta? Is there a way to reduce the flow?

Which model of bio orb do you have?

I had the exact same tank a few years ago.

If I remember right, the filter is powered by a air pump.

You can fit an airline flow valve between the pump and filter. This way you can adjust the amount of air that goes into the filter thus adjusting the flow.

Sometimes air pumps have an adjustable knob or lever that can adjust the airflow.

There are lots of various types of airline valves at different prices, simply search online.

I had the exact same tank a few years ago.

If I remember right, the filter is powered by a air pump.

You can fit an airline flow valve between the pump and filter. This way you can adjust the amount of air that goes into the filter thus adjusting the flow.

Sometimes air pumps have an adjustable knob or lever that can adjust the airflow.

There are lots of various types of airline valves at different prices, simply search online.

Thanks! I will keep an eye on my betta and if any signs of stress, I will look into lower the current.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back