Is An Airstone Necessary For Cherry Shrimp?

VidVid

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi.
Was just wondering if an airstone is really neccessary for the shrimps survival? The tank is densely planted with free floating java moss. Right now, the airstone is being used in conjunction with a sponge filter in the shrimp tank and I was wanting to use the air stone for a sponge filter for one of my other breeder tank for appistos...

IMO if it is just a shrimp tank(no fish) and densely planted you don't need a filter, since plants do use ammonia. The thing is you do need some form of water circulation(filter, pump, airstone) to keep the tank evenly heated. If all you have in there is a airstone to move the water, then removing it would not be a good idea.

IMO if it is just a shrimp tank(no fish) and densely planted you don't need a filter, since plants do use ammonia. The thing is you do need some form of water circulation(filter, pump, airstone) to keep the tank evenly heated. If all you have in there is a airstone to move the water, then removing it would not be a good idea.

Keeping the tank heated shouldnt be a problem as cherry shrimp are coldwater anyway.

Ok thanks...
i just got a two way valve and connected it to two air stones from the single airpump. i didnt want to risk it.

Hi.
Was just wondering if an airstone is really neccessary for the shrimps survival? The tank is densely planted with free floating java moss. Right now, the airstone is being used in conjunction with a sponge filter in the shrimp tank and I was wanting to use the air stone for a sponge filter for one of my other breeder tank for appistos...

An airstone is not necessary for shrimp, and the better 'suck' you can get on the sponge filter, the better the tank will be.

Most reactions

Back