Is A Topfilter Box Ok For A Nano Reef?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DerpPH

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello guys! I would like to ask a few questions

!. would a topfilter be ok for a nano reef? Im going to use a mini powerhead to pump the water to my filterbox

2. Would DIY LED lighting be ok? I have seen pretty cheap LEDs used for motorcycles. Would the violet ones be ok for a nano reef?

3. What fish would fit in a 12"x12"x12"?

I've never seen a top filter box used (assuming you mean something like this; I've never actually seen one!) so I'll have to leave that for someone else. 

Lots of people do DIY marine lighting, but you need bulbs that make the right spectrum if you want corals and to not disproportionately encourage certain pest algaes. Random LEDs meant for other applications are very unlikely to produce the right spectrum. 

What fish would fit in a 12"x12"x12"?

So, this is ~7.5galUS or 28L. I would not put any active swimming fish in a tank of that size. Some of the small burrowing or perching fish would be ok, such as neon gobies (territorial unless you have a mated pair), clown gobies, or a pistol shrimp goby pair with something like a yasha goby.

yah the box but without the pump. Im using a fountain pump with a 1 foot long filter box. And Ill cheat the cycle by buying already established media :D 

Donya said:
I've never seen a top filter box used (assuming you mean something like this; I've never actually seen one!) so I'll have to leave that for someone else. 

Lots of people do DIY marine lighting, but you need bulbs that make the right spectrum if you want corals and to not disproportionately encourage certain pest algaes. Random LEDs meant for other applications are very unlikely to produce the right spectrum. 

So, this is ~7.5galUS or 28L. I would not put any active swimming fish in a tank of that size. Some of the small burrowing or perching fish would be ok, such as neon gobies (territorial unless you have a mated pair), clown gobies, or a pistol shrimp goby pair with something like a yasha goby.

Ok weve got a lot of gobies in our country esp. pistol shrimp and neon blue gobies :D

And Im using 2 flourescent bulbs. one is blue and one is white. all in all they are 18 watts or so. They are the same lights our LFS is using and it does wonders for the corals :D

Most reactions

trending

Back