Is A 1 Gallon Okay? (I Can't Do Any Better!)

You know, that's even better that she preferes glass over plastic. Glass looks nicely, and lasts longer. That's great! How big? Good luck with tank mates, I know that one will be a journey... again, this is debateable. I honestly think bettas don't need tankmates to be "Happier". Their happiness comes us, their human friends, and our interactions with them :) They're very territorial,so.... yeah. Lol

Hopefully, there won't be any miscommunications! *Hint. Get as big a tank as possible. Lol :)
Right now we are looking into 5 gallons. Just the regular old fish tank with glass and a vented lid. But I can't seem to find those online, everything is a big fancy with light and decorative gravel and whatnot gimmick. I don't want that, I want a regular, empty, fish tank. No accesories needed, I can provide that.
Sigh.
But tomro or sunday we are going to go look in stores.

I think what you are looking for are the 5.5 gallon glass tanks with the plain black hood, I have a bunch of those, and the tank is usually around 8 dollars and the hood is around 15, a good deal and perfect for a betta because they're long and retangular. Most of the petstores around me carry them, including the big chain ones like petsmart and petco but they don't have them online, so you could always call ahead and double check

It's perfectly possible for fish to survive in very high ammonia levels, it is simply very uncommon. I've seen bettas survive some horrible ordeals and while they have not come out of them fine, they've not been killed outright either. Just because the fish isn't dead, that doesn't mean anything about the method is working, if there is such a thing as a method being employed. Unless of course the objective is survival, and even then I would say luck plays a huge part.

Nitrates are also not the only thing to be worried about with a lack of water changes. I'd be more worried about a build up of parasite or pathogen colonies and the pH of the water starting to swing.

Clearly it is possible for the betta to survive - this one has. However, I don't think Betta898 needs people playing devil's advocate or defending him. If he is a credible fishkeeper he can defend himself and if he isn't, hopefully he'll learn from this.
Ammonia build up would kill a fish within 6 months, if not sooner. Pathogens and Parasites are agents that cause disease, and would only be present if bought into the tank by a fish, why would the PH swing? Carbonate levels wouldn't change, but there may be a minor decrease over time, due to a small build up of CO2 if surface disturbance is minimal. I'm not defending him, I'm just trying to say that it is possible to keep a betta healthily and happily for 8 months without a WC.

And as for woodstocks post filled with sweeping and narrow minded statements, I will reply later when I have the time, because I'm going to the match.

Well she said no, then today I made a comment about him looking unhappy, and she suggested a tankmate and a bigger tank. So she said maybe to both, and I'm researching good tank mates, and bigger tanks. She just didn't want that particular tank because she likes the glass ones, and she likes the way glass ones look.
So, it was a miscommuncation.
You can read my latest post for the details, if you choose. :good:
Thx for all your help!

He doesn't need a tankmate to be happy but in a 5 gallon tank you could have something small and quiet like a couple of dwarf frogs or 6 shrimp. They are fun to watch and a little bit different!

It's great that she said you could look at bigger tanks, way to go!

Just remember to get the filter cycled before you add anything else. See here: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=224306

The fact is, you CAN keep a healthy betta in 1 gallon of water. However, take that betta and put him in a 8 gallon tank, and watch him flourish.

I urge anyone keeping bettas in small tanks to try this out, watch your betta turn into a happy, healthy indiviual, believe me you will notice the difference.

It's perfectly possible for fish to survive in very high ammonia levels, it is simply very uncommon. I've seen bettas survive some horrible ordeals and while they have not come out of them fine, they've not been killed outright either. Just because the fish isn't dead, that doesn't mean anything about the method is working, if there is such a thing as a method being employed. Unless of course the objective is survival, and even then I would say luck plays a huge part.

Nitrates are also not the only thing to be worried about with a lack of water changes. I'd be more worried about a build up of parasite or pathogen colonies and the pH of the water starting to swing.

Clearly it is possible for the betta to survive - this one has. However, I don't think Betta898 needs people playing devil's advocate or defending him. If he is a credible fishkeeper he can defend himself and if he isn't, hopefully he'll learn from this.
Ammonia build up would kill a fish within 6 months, if not sooner. Pathogens and Parasites are agents that cause disease, and would only be present if bought into the tank by a fish, why would the PH swing? Carbonate levels wouldn't change, but there may be a minor decrease over time, due to a small build up of CO2 if surface disturbance is minimal. I'm not defending him, I'm just trying to say that it is possible to keep a betta healthily and happily for 8 months without a WC.

And as for woodstocks post filled with sweeping and narrow minded statements, I will reply later when I have the time, because I'm going to the match.

I'm sorry if I come off as narrowminded to you. I'm just showing my side and opinion to her and other's posts. I'd like to see what you say about it so I could correct it and see if I just came off on the wrong foot. I'd also like to know which of my posts if so narrowminded, as you say.

I respect your opinion but:

such an appalling act.

It's not really an appalling act, because it can work, it would be an appalling act in some situations.

the quality must be TERRIBLE

Again, I think here, the water quality may be terrible would be more suitable, because a set up of filter, plants and no water changes, can work, and water quality can be excellent because the system is self sustained.

I take back my statement: woodstocks post filled with sweeping and narrow minded statements, and I apologize, that statement was a ridiculous one, I think that a few of the points were badly worded but that's it.

It doesn't necessarily have to follow the Walstad method 100%, a cycled filter and some fast growing pond weed could sustain a tank for months on end.
I can turn the If the "Walstad Method" is being used by that person, why wasn't that mentioned? argument on it's head and say, how do you know it wasn't filtered if it wasn't mentioned, it works both ways.

In my opinion, some people really do disguise opinion as fact, this isn't just relevant to what I have discussed, but quite a lot of the posts in this section are so biased, I've heard it mentioned many times before: that anything under 5 gallons is a death trap, wow, what a statement, there are hundreds that keep Betta's in smaller tanks than this that do fine, the thing is, you have to think outside of the box before presuming things, if a betta has survived without water changes for 8 months, then something must be working, if the tank didn't have a filter the betta would be dead by now, so it's obvious that it has a filter, as for nitrates, dangerous levels begin at about 400ppm for Betta splendens, after 8 months, levels would be quite a lot higher than this, so something must be reducing them, be it Plants, or anaerobic bacteria that colonize in the substrate.

I agree that Betta 898's post has no credibility, but what I'm trying to say is, that it is possible for a betta to live in a tank for 8 months without a water change, people blindly dismiss that without taking all of the options into hand.

100 agreed with above. :good: :good:
i used the walstad method for almost a YEAR. no waterchanges at all and all parameters 0. just weekly top offs. so it is worth considering this method. and very easy to set up.
however that is not the purpose of this thread. the only issue with a 1 gal is the heat. they do make very small heaters but even they are too big for a gal. a simple incandescent desk lamp would do just fine heating the water during the day with a temp drop at night when you turn it off. which is fine as fluctuations in water temp happen in nature-even in the daytime. its called a thermocline and they are found in any type of natural system.
if not using the walstad method for ammonia control either 50%water changes every day/other day without overfeeding should suffice. HOWEVER, building a DIY sponge filter with a very small container(such as a small fishfood pot or even an empty and clean prescription bottle) would work JUST fine. so-
to the OP-
if upgrading is NOT an option and you are serious about the welfare of the fish, stick a desklamp over the tank and monitor the temp with a stick on thermometer until you determine the correct distance to place the light to heat the water to about 76F. also, buy a small (and cheap) airpump to make your very own tiny filter. they work so much better than any of the small commercial filters and are absolutely customizable to take up the least amount of space. also limit the substrate.
too many times there is far too much criticism for people wanting help with small tanks. sometimes it is JUST NOT POSSIBLE to get a bigger tank and to be told you will kill the fish is simply absurd. lets try to find a solution instead of have to's and have not's.
if the OP or anyone else would like instructions on how to make your own sponge filter very easily and cheaply (i know there is an old thread out there that lots of folks link to, but it is actually more complicated than it needs to be) feel free to PM me. i have made dozens of them and have them in all my betta tanks which range from 2-6 gals. and no- none of my fish are suffering. all just as active and healthy as the next one.
just my two cents as i HATE to see people criticized for small tanks. they are not a death sentance for a betta! a litre, sure, but not a gal.
cheers

such an appalling act.

It's not really an appalling act, because it can work, it would be an appalling act in some situations.

Again, I think here, the water quality may be terrible would be more suitable, because a set up of filter, plants and no water changes, can work, and water quality can be excellent because the system is self sustained.

I take back my statement: woodstocks post filled with sweeping and narrow minded statements, and I apologize, that statement was a ridiculous one, I think that a few of the points were badly worded but that's it.

I see, I also apologize for wording it badly. This was also prior to researching up the Walstad Method, which I should've done earlier. I've never heard of it prior to this forum, and now that I know what it is (plants and soil, basically? Of course, more details behind that), I can see why it would be more acceptable. Also understandable about debating whether or not betta898 uses a filter or not, however, I think an issue from his post was saying that "bettas live in 1ml water", simply not showing off professionalism in properly keeping his betta in a 1gal. We all know very well bettas do not live in 1ml water (and a terrible hyperbole, at that).

such an appalling act.

EDIT: Oops, double post! I meant to edit my post, not reply to my own... lol

It doesn't necessarily have to follow the Walstad method 100%, a cycled filter and some fast growing pond weed could sustain a tank for months on end.
I can turn the If the "Walstad Method" is being used by that person, why wasn't that mentioned? argument on it's head and say, how do you know it wasn't filtered if it wasn't mentioned, it works both ways.

In my opinion, some people really do disguise opinion as fact, this isn't just relevant to what I have discussed, but quite a lot of the posts in this section are so biased, I've heard it mentioned many times before: that anything under 5 gallons is a death trap, wow, what a statement, there are hundreds that keep Betta's in smaller tanks than this that do fine, the thing is, you have to think outside of the box before presuming things, if a betta has survived without water changes for 8 months, then something must be working, if the tank didn't have a filter the betta would be dead by now, so it's obvious that it has a filter, as for nitrates, dangerous levels begin at about 400ppm for Betta splendens, after 8 months, levels would be quite a lot higher than this, so something must be reducing them, be it Plants, or anaerobic bacteria that colonize in the substrate.

I agree that Betta 898's post has no credibility, but what I'm trying to say is, that it is possible for a betta to live in a tank for 8 months without a water change, people blindly dismiss that without taking all of the options into hand.

100 agreed with above. :good: :good:
i used the walstad method for almost a YEAR. no waterchanges at all and all parameters 0. just weekly top offs. so it is worth considering this method. and very easy to set up.
however that is not the purpose of this thread. the only issue with a 1 gal is the heat. they do make very small heaters but even they are too big for a gal. a simple incandescent desk lamp would do just fine heating the water during the day with a temp drop at night when you turn it off. which is fine as fluctuations in water temp happen in nature-even in the daytime. its called a thermocline and they are found in any type of natural system.
if not using the walstad method for ammonia control either 50%water changes every day/other day without overfeeding should suffice. HOWEVER, building a DIY sponge filter with a very small container(such as a small fishfood pot or even an empty and clean prescription bottle) would work JUST fine. so-
to the OP-
if upgrading is NOT an option and you are serious about the welfare of the fish, stick a desklamp over the tank and monitor the temp with a stick on thermometer until you determine the correct distance to place the light to heat the water to about 76F. also, buy a small (and cheap) airpump to make your very own tiny filter. they work so much better than any of the small commercial filters and are absolutely customizable to take up the least amount of space. also limit the substrate.
too many times there is far too much criticism for people wanting help with small tanks. sometimes it is JUST NOT POSSIBLE to get a bigger tank and to be told you will kill the fish is simply absurd. lets try to find a solution instead of have to's and have not's.
if the OP or anyone else would like instructions on how to make your own sponge filter very easily and cheaply (i know there is an old thread out there that lots of folks link to, but it is actually more complicated than it needs to be) feel free to PM me. i have made dozens of them and have them in all my betta tanks which range from 2-6 gals. and no- none of my fish are suffering. all just as active and healthy as the next one.
just my two cents as i HATE to see people criticized for small tanks. they are not a death sentance for a betta! a litre, sure, but not a gal.
cheers
A good small heater would the they hydor 7.5 watt heater. It should be fine for a 1-gallon IF a light isn't used as that'll heat up the tank. One of my bettas is in a 2-gallon and the hydor 7.5 barely keeps his temp warm enough. I have the same heater in my 3-gallon eclipse and that stays much warmer due to the light heating up the water. Only downside to that heater is the temp cannot be adjusted.

the only issue with a 1 gal is the heat. they do make very small heaters but even they are too big for a gal. a simple incandescent desk lamp would do just fine heating the water during the day with a temp drop at night when you turn it off. which is fine as fluctuations in water temp happen in nature-even in the daytime. its called a thermocline and they are found in any type of natural system.

I've noticed that with water fluctuations, they seem to get sicker for longer times, and more often. With more stable temperatures, they seem to do much better, health wise. However, if the stable temp. has issues, then I'd probably go with temp fluctuations.

I agree with a heat pad, or hydor heater. I've heard mixed things with a hydor heater (it works, it doesn't work, etc...), so if you could just return it if that happens. I'm unfamiliar with a heat pad, though.

such an appalling act.

Thanks for apoligizing to my friend, but I would like to know which of her posts was worded badly, because I find all of her answers extremely helpful and to the point, and in a polite way.
You, on the other hand, made a narrow-minded and sweeping and judging comment by refering to woodstock's comments as narrow-minded.
If you have nothing but complaints to post, post nothing at all.
That's simply all there is to it.
But thank you for apologizing.

such an appalling act.

Thanks for apoligizing to my friend, but I would like to know which of her posts was worded badly, because I find all of her answers extremely helpful and to the point, and in a polite way.
You, on the other hand, made a narrow-minded and sweeping and judging comment by refering to woodstock's comments as narrow-minded.
If you have nothing but complaints to post, post nothing at all.
That's simply all there is to it.
But thank you for apologizing.
And I relize my comment, after rereading, sounded rude.
And I don't mean to sound rude, I really don't.
U just don't like fights or anything, and this might have produced one, and I wouldn't like that, because it is my post that started it after all.
So, Sorry for rudeness, I apriciate your help and comment, Truck.
:good:

Volleyball_rox, thanks for that :) And also, it definitely wasn't your post that caused any arguments at all. Not to point fingers, but betta898's statement on not waterchanging for 8months is probably what sparked a bit of what's going on. Hopefully, you got the info you needed from this? :D?

Volleyball_rox, thanks for that :) And also, it definitely wasn't your post that caused any arguments at all. Not to point fingers, but betta898's statement on not waterchanging for 8months is probably what sparked a bit of what's going on. Hopefully, you got the info you needed from this? :D?
Anytime :good:
And thanks lol.
Yeah I got the info, exept how to cycle lol.
And I'm just about to post a new topic, so I'm not going to type it here, to then retype it on a new topic, so all my new updates about how I just got my new tank (!!!) will be there!
:)

Most reactions

Back