interesting fish to put in tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

freshwater

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am looking for an interesting fish to put in my tank. I want something that is rare but will get along with all of my other fish in my tank (look in sig for fish). If someone could give some advice on a fish. I could also go for an invertabrete.

i was looking for something more interesting that not many people would have any other ideas?

Recently, I've become very found of kuhli loaches. I added four to my 65 gallon tank about 2 weeks ago, and they are the best! They need lots of hiding places and if you get a group of them (I'd say 4-6 or more) they'll be pretty active. I don't see them too much during the day, until it's feeding time. And when it starts getting a little darker out, they become pretty active. Depending on the size of your angels, you'll probably want to try getting full sized kuhlis (although, the angels may still try to eat them...)...hmm...how about another suggestion...

Yo-yo loaches...very active...probably won't be seen as food...:)

Amano or ghost shrimp and great additions to a tank...good for eating scraps and doing maintence on the tank... :thumbs:

I've also heard people speek highly of rainbowfish....I've seen them in the lfs and they have gorgeous colors.

Otos aren't really exotic, but they are cute little fish, that are usually pretty active if you have a few of them. If you can find them, there is a very pretty zebra oto.

OH get a male Fidler Crab! those are so funny to watch! If you move slowly while hes on a plant or something he will try to scare you away by shaking his big claw at you!. Ok some fish now. Something rare huh? Try a Killifish! The relaiable LFS by me says that killis get kinda big but also arn't agressive!

if im wrong then correct me becuase I don't know if hes right :p

Thanks. Has anyone had any experiance with the 4 or 5 in blue lobsters?

I know, what about a rainbowfish, the small cute types :wub: :wub:

Poppendetta Furcarta!
These little guys grow to 5.5cm and are so pretty (that's my point of view :) )

...I got one in my 10gal :D

or

Celebes Rainbowfish!
They are not much different than the Poppendetta Furcarta exept that they have black on them and grow to 7.5cm.

...got three of these in my 20gal :D

Blue Lobsters... I've seem one in a tank and it seems kind of well angry always waving it's claws back and front. I think if you are gonna get there guys you have to choose its tankmates carfully. Apart from it's funny behaviour it was real funny... and big!

The blue lobsters are actually blue crayfish.

These guys will eat anything they can catch, and they'll tend to eat fish while they are sleeping. I think you need pretty big fish to go in with these guys. For sure, your corys would be dinner for these guys.

How about a freshwater clam anyone have any experiance with them?

What about getting an elephant nose? They are pretty docile and are very neat fish. The hardest part would likely be trying to find a place that stocks them.

Fiddlers are brackish... http://www.aquariacentral.com/ do a custom search under freshwater, put in your info and what your looking for and you should get a nice list... just make sure you follow the directions on the greaterthan lessthan things for the gallon part or you'll wind up with the wrong types of fish... I'd recommend some fish myself, but they would eat all your fish....

If the temp is not too high, a weather loach is pretty cool.

You could also use something that would get rid of the future algae and keep the tank clean, like a snail (only one and watch for eggs), borneo sucker. A pleco could be cool too.

Also, dwarf frogs are interesting and do not get big. I would not mix snails with frogs however. I think mine ate away at my snail that was in perfect condition and ended up dying when put in with the frogs.

Neon rainbow fish are zippy pretty cool looking fish.

I have had all of these and still have them all except the pleco and the snail. My favorites out of them in order would be the borneo suckers, snail, then weather loach. Get a 2-5 borneo suckers for that size tank and that should work. I have 2 in my 20 gallon and I have yet to touch it with an algae pad in a years time or more. There are some very cool looking borneo suckers around and some bland ones, so be picky in picking some out if you went that route. They only get about an inch or so big.

Before you add anything, make sure they are compatible with your other fish. I am only recommending things I have had that I like. I do not know if they are compatible, but I would think most of them are.

I would stay away from shrimp, lobsters, fiddler crabs. They will all attack what they can. I have had a chameleon shrimp and a fiddler crab, so I do know they will go after other fish. Have fun choosing some fish.

Most reactions

Back