inspecting new cory

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Madi's Platy

Reaction score
I just read a thread that suggested to check the cory cats for bruising before bringing them home. What does that look like? Is there anything else I should look for? I read that they have a high mortality rate to the lfs and then to home, I am a little nervous, so any tips are appreciated. I will be adding my corys next and I am really excited. I just can't decide which kind to get. :)
Also, I saw a masked cory in an aquarium--is that the same as a panda? This one had a yellow band at the back of it's head which I hadn't noticed on the panda. He was really very cute!!

A bruise being a reddish spot on one or both sides.

The general procedure used by many LFS when extracting fish.

1. Net
2. Specimen container
3. Bag

Step 2 is where you should ask to leave them in the specimen container for a minute or so, giving you a chance to inspect if any injuries had occured during netting.

Step 3 is where you inspect them again, see if anything has still developed. They should be moving around in a bit of a jittery manner. They should not lay there looking 'calm' once bagged the first few minutes - it may be a sign of internal injury.

I had 2 with bruises on the sides which weren't there when I saw them in the LFS tank. They died a short time after. "Max" was alone for a while after I lost "Dylan" and seemed to be lethargic and/or depressed. When I got "Dylan-II", this one had a bruise on his side. I thought it would heal, but "Dylan-II" didn't like to move much. It was so cute, yet disheartening at the same time, to see "Max" nudge "Dylan-II" to 'play' and "Dylan-II" refused to budge.

So far, "Max is happy now with "Dylan-III" and "Peepee" (a baby leopard cory).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back