Injured Betta- Urgent

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

onefieshcedrick

Reaction score
So right now I'm writing this post with the prayers that my betta is okay. Earlier today while I was changing out his water he jumped out of the tank and into the sink. I panicked and grabbed him by the tail and put him back in the tank. Unfortunately, my nails ripped his tail and he was lying at the bottom of the tank for about 5 minutes due to shock. In addition, he has been tail biting for quite some time, which I don't know how to fix. What do I do? I'm terrified that he might die.

Will you please upload pictures of him so we can asses the damage?

What are your water parameters? Preform an immediate emergency 75%+ water change.

Bettas are known jumpers, and a lid is always a good idea. You can add some plastic wrap for the time being.

Will you please upload pictures of him so we can asses the damage?

What are your water parameters? Preform an immediate emergency 75%+ water change.

Bettas are known jumpers, and a lid is always a good idea. You can add some plastic wrap for the time being.

Here's a photo. I don't know how to check the parameters but he jumped right in the middle of a water change- as I was trying to scoop him out of the water he jumped and I put him back in after I changed the water.

IMG_5902.jpg

Ok, not has bad as I thought.

The 75% water change will help a lot. How big is the tank? What are your water parameters? (Make sure when you do the water change, you de chlorinate the water)

That's a relief. The tank is approximately 1.12 gallons (I was duped by the pet store when I got him and do not yet have the funds to replace it), and like I said I'm not quite sure how to check water parameters. All my water is dechlorinated- I let some tap water sit for about 24 hours to let it dechlorinate.

The rip won't kill him. Fish don't have any nerves in their fins, so that's not going to affect him. He's probably just in shock right now. Shut the lights in the tank, and maybe even cover it with a towel or something. That might help him calm down. You could also put some aquarium salt into the tank, which should calm him down too. Just dissolve 1 heaped tablespoon for every five gallons in some tank water, and then poor it into the tank.

If you suspect he's tail biting out of boredom, pick him up a bright coloured ping pong ball to play with and rearrange his tank to give him new things to explore. If you think it's thought stress, re consider where his tank is set up, whether it's in an area with heavy traffic etc. Also try giving him somewhere to hide like a coconut hut and a betta hammock to chill by the surface :)

The rip won't kill him. Fish don't have any nerves in their fins, so that's not going to affect him. He's probably just in shock right now. Shut the lights in the tank, and maybe even cover it with a towel or something. That might help him calm down. You could also put some aquarium salt into the tank, which should calm him down too. Just dissolve 1 heaped tablespoon for every five gallons in some tank water, and then poor it into the tank.
Oh, thank god. Thank you so much. There are no lights in the tank, but I'll make sure to try and cover it. Where can I find aquarium salt?

If you suspect he's tail biting out of boredom, pick him up a bright coloured ping pong ball to play with and rearrange his tank to give him new things to explore. If you think it's thought stress, re consider where his tank is set up, whether it's in an area with heavy traffic etc. Also try giving him somewhere to hide like a coconut hut and a betta hammock to chill by the surface :)
Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice. I'll make sure to look into getting these items.

That's a relief. The tank is approximately 1.12 gallons (I was duped by the pet store when I got him and do not yet have the funds to replace it), and like I said I'm not quite sure how to check water parameters. All my water is dechlorinated- I let some tap water sit for about 24 hours to let it dechlorinate.
Do you have water de chlorinator?

Never trust pet store advice (as you probably have figured out), they are usually always wrong.

As you said you do not have the funds yet, but when you do, make sure to get him at least a 5g tank.

Do you have water de chlorinator?

Never trust pet store advice (as you probably have figured out), they are usually always wrong.

As you said you do not have the funds yet, but when you do, make sure to get him at least a 5g tank.

I do not unfortunately but I will be purchasing some ASAP. I have figured out that pet stores suck at fish advice but I'm currently saving up for a 10g tank that's about $30

Sounds good. Just let that water set for 24hrs and preform that water change. :)

Oh, thank god. Thank you so much. There are no lights in the tank, but I'll make sure to try and cover it. Where can I find aquarium salt?

You can buy aquarium salt in petco or petsmart.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back