Infusoria producing leaves

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Idk what infusoria is, but cory babies like to eat it…
What are some leaves that produce it? Theres no almond trees where i am. Also im too poor to buy indian almond leaves
Will driftwood do the trick?

Infusoria are small organisms that live in water and get eaten by small fish, insects/ insect larvae, and other aquatic life forms. The most commonly seen infusoria in freshwater aquariums are paramecium. However, they are rarely seen in filtered aquariums because the filtration process removes them from the water column.

The following link tells you how to culture live foods for baby fish and includes a section on infusoria. They can be grown at home quite easily using any sort of non toxic plant leaves. Any type of oak leaf will work.

Leaves that you collect must be dead - pulling a green leaf off a tree won't work. The leaves must be from an area where insecticide hasn't been used. Don't use leaves with bird droppings on them.

The best time to collect leaves is in autumn when leaves have naturally fallen from the tree; keep them somewhere safe till they are needed. Leaves will decompose in the tank and need to be replaced so it's useful to have a supply of them ready.

Thank you @Essjay ...this is crucial advice. Never put leaves that are not completely naturally dead dry in a fish tank. A leaf that has fallen naturally (as in autumn) from the tree and is collected from the ground is dead dry. Rinse it off, but nothing further. I never collect any that have signs of bird droppings etc, just "clean" dead leaves.

You can use the leaves of most hardwoods (oak, beech, maple, etc). If the wood itself is safe (these are) to use dead in an aquarium, the leaves will be safe too.

This is an article I posted a while back, useful information.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back