Info on parrot cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fire-eel-watcher

Reaction score
Hi there just wondering what others out there think of the parrot cichlid. I don't know much about them and was just seeking others opinions. I am interested in any information from anyone who has kept them in the past. I am aware that they dont occur naturally and are usually described as a man made fish. I dont have any myself but have heard varied reports about them. Thanks. :)

WARNING!!! This subject may start a few debates. Yes the Parrot is a hybrid fish. It is a sort of frankebstien by by mating two fish that would never mate in nature. Actually it may be created by invitro. Due to the unnatural matings the fish is deformed giving it a deformed mouth. It would be kinda like taking the eggs from a springer spaniel and injected a dingo male sperm the result would be a mutt. or a Parrot in fish terms. But having said all that I am a hipocrite cause I own a cross breed dog. I own and breed Jack Russell Terriers. The original jack russell was a cross breed od a rat terrier and fox terrier. If I remember correctly. You guys from the U.K. May know since they originated there. Anyhow I do believe there is a difference. The jack Russel was created to better the breeds instincts and hunting ability. In other words to better a breed. The parrot is not an improvement just merely an odd mutant. :alien: I do not support Hybridization and I was very shocked to see my LFS carrying the heart shaped parrot and the flowerhorn. But then fish keeping is a little wierd initself. We house wild fishes in a small confined environment. So while I dont support hybrids. I feel I cant go on a rampage why it is immoral. Because according to some we are immoral by housing fish at all. Allthough those people probably eat fish, as do I. So in closing we are all idiots and hipocrites. Hope that was confusing enough :crazy: :S :hyper: :S :crazy: :fun:

I dont have any myself,nor do i have any info on them,but my mother has 4 parrots in her 75 gallon tank. I absolutely love them. They are quite neat to watch. Right now its spawning time for hers, so the males are a bit aggressive toward the females. She has several large sea shells in the tank and each pair has there own shell that they hang around,and if any of the others come near there shell,they chase them off. Not to mention they are cool looking too. When she got them,they was the size of a silver dollar,and now over a year later they are about the size of a saucer. Fairly large and still growing. But very pretty and interesting to watch! If i had a large tank that i wasnt occuping with my own fish, i would love to have several myself.
So my opinion is that i like them,but sorry that i dont have any info on them for ya! :no:

I have 4 parrots in a 110 gallon tank. They are not shy fish and always come to the front of the tank when someone approaches. They share the tank with fruit tetras, tiger barbs and a pleco. They sometimes are injected with dye which is sad, but mine have all returned to a bright orange color which is their natural color. I recommend this fish as far as being entertaining and hardy. I have also heard that they cannot be bred in the home aquarium.

Hooben,

Just thought I would let you know, "fruit tetras" are also injected with dye!!!

CM

While the subject is up i recently saw some parrots in a lfs that were so deformed they didn't even have tails :sick:

People should stop buying these disgusting freak fish and other fish that have been interfered with because then they might stop making them :angry: :angry:

I agree that we should stop buying these injected fish, but I'm here to say that the parrots are really healthy and enjoyable fish... sorry. The fruit tetras had no signs of injection and are white. The parrots have lost all thier injected color and have remained orange and healthy for more than two years. Both parrots and fruit tetras were purchased by my daughter, I have only provided them with a good home.

Hooben,

While your "fruit tetras" are white, I can assure you they at one time were not!!

Fruit tetras are indeed injected with dye. They have names also like blueberry, strawberry, and so on. The only way to get these colors is by injection.

I am happy to hear your parrots are doing good though.

CM

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back