Indian almond leaf

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nice article, I'll start looking around for some :)
Aquabid.com has good things like that, as you said before.

catfish food said:
could the tea from the leaf harm any other fish
I think it works basically like peat extract, so it doesn't harm any fish. But fish that like water with high pH and alkalinity won't like it.

I ordered one package and I will try it with my next betta fry. I use leaves from oak tree now, they look pretty in the bottom of the tank, but indian almond leaf tee sounds much cooler :D

too bad for u guys... it's very easy to find indian almond leaves here...(i'm from Malaysia...:) ) u can just walk around in the middle of the city and find an indian almond tree right in the mid of the city..
i don't really know bout the price u have to pay to buy for a dozen indian almond leaf but i think it's kinda expensive... but well... if it really has lots of benefits for your fish... why should you buy it?
:)

you are one of the lucky ones md7 ;) do you use it with your fish by the way?

i just wanted to mention another thing about IAL, we are now experimenting with it in the hopes of it having some effect on reducing female / male ratios in spawn. a thai breeder i know uses it in his breeding tank and swears that it reduces females drastically. he says that reducing ph is one of the triggers. we just did a sibling cross of our last ct spawn and just this morning the eggs hatched, still too early to see how many fry we have or of course what the ratio is but we will be following developments closely. for your information, we treated out breeding tank with one big leaf a few days before we let the male free and the water was yellow before we let the female free. our fingers are crossed as there is nothing worse than ending up with half of your spawn being female. not that there is anything wrong with females and it's nice to get a few to use as breeders but the market is for males, we ended up giving away most of the girls from last spawn for free.

If you can't find almond indian leaf, this stuff works too. Betta says yummy it almond indian leaf and betta didn't know it is not almond indian leaf. LOL

Mardel WOW Southeast Asia & India 8 oz.
Waters of the World is the latest innovation in fish care. Water of the World is the only full line of water conditioners and testing system designed to recreates native water conditions from around the world. There are six natural "Biotopes" that Waters of the World recreates. Each native water conditioner adjusts pH, hardness and Buffering Capacity. Some also add trace minerals and humic acids.

Check out this one in aquabid.com
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...terc&1103858004

I used both and this one works good and I can see the color betta will be back to normal.
It is cheap too buy from aquabid. half price. Can ask for more bottles in the same price. I did that too.:) I got 4 bottles for 4.50 each. :whistle:

Attachments

• mar33330.jpg
    mar33330.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 276
thanks for the tip yeeviabetta, and welcome to the forums ;)

Hello,
I'm just wondering which one is "better". Blackwater extract that you can buy from your lfs, or actual Indian Almond Leaves? I see some people selling real leaves on Aquabid/eBay, etc. I've also seen ones sold as "Indian Almond Leave teabags". Are these teabag versions the same as the putting in a real leaf? Just wondering which is best.

I checked the Buy&Sell on this forum, but don't see anyone selling any.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Indian Almond Leave teabags are the same as a whole leaf. Only they pack it for easy to do it. Just like make a lipton tea in a bag. So it cost more by the way. If I were you, get the cheapest one like 100 leafs because they will give you more and they work the same.
Indian Almond leave is great for betta and it's been in history that people been using it. I still prefer my malaysia food in my home town for sure. LOL If your betta don't feels good, make the indian almond leaf solution darker and the betta will getting better.
As for black water, I use Waters of the world native water conditioner and makesure it is Southeast asia and india and from Mardel. Get in in aquabid for 4.50 per bottle. Cheap becuase they sell like 9.99. You can get more bottle with the same price and safe the shipping cost.
I think both combination are the best. Half half portion are best. I have my females been laying eggs 5 to 6 times now and they still doing great. Even the red halfmoon from thailand still have the bright color in them. Get both and makesure they are cheap. They work the same. LOL :p

Thanks for your input yeeviabetta! :D

I found some that sell the "tea bag" form for about $0.40/bag. How much are leaves usually?

Thanks again everyone. :)

Wou. If you buy 100, it cost $40.00. I think I only paid $20.00 from aquabid for 100 leafs and they gave me around 170 plus. In Malaysia, you can get if for free. All you have to go and collect them. :p

If you raise fry in water treated with IAL would that affect how they react to regular water once they find new homes?

I've heard that once they get used to it that they will do badly if taken out and put in untreated water. So I would assume being raised in the treated water would make them accustomed to it.

Anyone?? :unsure:

SRC- copied from above for ya :)

bkk_group said:
jacblades said:
i didnt know it had medicinal properties!
the thing about the "betta spa" though-it says they rotate which fish go in the spa but then it says that bettas raised in those conditions could be harmed if switched to aged treated tap water. i suppose that means if they spend their whole lievs in there. but wouldnt it still stress them out to switch back to tap after the spa?
our bettas don't spend their entire lives in indian almond leaf water, when we first started using it we would drop a leaf into our water holding (ie. aging) tank for water changes. after finding out about the dangers of using it exclusively we switched to once a month in a specific tank. doing it this way (especially if it's part of a routine) causes no harm. because we breed and sell our fish we knew that the average owner wouldn't be aware of indian almond leaf and wanted to have fish that weren't reliant on it but rather benefited from a regular exposure to it. ;)

Wild Bettas been living in this type of solution for generations. The longer you soak, the acidic it gonna be. You need to have the PH level around 7 to 7.5. 7.2 PH are the best. Also depends what type of betta you got. I soak 5 gallon of water with one leaf (medium size) for one day and then take it out. The longer you soak, the darker color it be. I like it lighter color and mild and that is it. If too dark, you can mixed with age water. I do added the black water too and make it lighter too. If you do this, the betta will have longer life spand and the color are brighter especially thailand import bettas. :) If the betta getting sick, make the solution stronger. My red sulthasine halfmoon was not feeling good after breeding and I been treating him with this solution. He is back to normal now and start bubbling under the leaves. :)

Ok I'm going to buy some and try with my poor crowntail. I have some questions though:

1. What should I be paying for them? I found an Ebay add for $10 for $5 +3.00 S/H(they say they throw in 7 free if you use buy it now) . And a website (siasbettas or something) for 10 for $6.00 + $4.50 S/h. Are these good prices? AB is down indefinately..so I gotta work with what I can find for now.

2. I need to break this down for 1 gallon incriments. All instructions I find say 1 leaf to 10 gallons. Should I should divide it up and break it off?

3. How long should I treat for, and how do I swap him back over to plain water afterwards...or should I?

:( I just want my fish to be ok..but there are so many things to cover when they are sick. :/

**edit** nevermind on teh prices..I found a really good price at Majesticbettas. 10 leaves (6-11" each) for $4.5 + 2.50 S/H. Wow.

Hello,
I ordered and am waiting to receive some from Wasan on Aquabid. Eventhough AB is down, you can still order from him on www.wasanbetta.com. I think the prices are pretty close. Mine was $19.99 (including shipping/handling) for 50 of the "tea bag" style ones.

I'm eagerly waiting to receive them so I can use them.

Good luck with your guy that is losing colour, by the way.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back