black molly3

Fish Herder
Reaction score
here is my tank about 1 month ago when i was just beggining my nano
Photo-0123.jpg

and here it is now
Photo-0185.jpg

tell me what you all think

Looking pretty good! Live rock's looking live compared to the first! What are you aiming for with the tank? It's a 7 gallon, right? I would get shot of the UG filter. And is that an airstone in the back?? I would remove that too.

EDIT- Have you still got 3 clowns? Tbh even 1 clown is too much for the tank.

Big improvement, coming along nicely.
What fish have you got in there?

thanks. well i had 3 clowns in there (baby) and i was going to leave them in there for about a month or 2 whilst i could convert my 14 gal tropical but unfortuanitly one died so i took the other one back and got cradit. i bought a green star polp coral with the credit and then i bought a bicolour blenny. so in the tank i have a baby clown and a bicolour blenny and 2 turbo snails and a hermit all ready to go into my big tank. now i know the bicolour will get too big and im still debating what to do with that but for the time being it is ok. why do you say i shoud get rid of the UG filter and the air stone?
thanks for the comments.
the tank as in gallons is not too small for the clown its just the area in which it has to swim is too small (thats what i was told) i am aiming to create a sea like tank with pleantly of corals that are easy to care for like a tourch coral and a toadstool coral. ofcourse that will never happen because i cant realy afford them. thats the one thing that makes me wonder about my tank. will it ever look good. perhaps not but o well theres nothing that can be done
thanks for the comments once again

filtration via filters is generally not used due to the need for very clean tanks (eg very little nitrates too), and filters are nitrate "factories" that produce and store it. In UG filtration it is very hard to clean this out because it is your substrate that is the media. LR basically is all you need and a decent flowrate.

If you plan on keeping corals then air bubbles can get caught in the coral and cause a "disease/reaction". I can't remember what, but I do remember reading about it.

On the torch and toadstool matter: get yourself into a local club/society or coral frag type forum where you'll probs find people selling/swapping/giving little pieces of coral cheaply.

well this is what i am going to do. because i havent enogh time to take all the live rock out and the fish and gravl i am just going to pull the top of the powerhead off. i have an internal filter also but was looking for a fan could anyone tell me what they are used for because i quite like the look of them but havent researched them. ill go and pull the top of the powerhead off now then
thanks o and ill turn the airbubbles off

don it i have took the airpump and the power head out of the tank all what is left is the intenal filter. i will post a pic of what it looks like after the water clears up.
thanks for the elp once again
also what is an average price for a blood shrimp

what's your flowrate in the tank with the powerhead out? it may be worthwile having the powerhead in the tank, but just not attached to the UG

no its not that type of power head if i dont attach it to the UG my fish will be sucked up into the fan and be chopped. i bought a devils hand coral today so i will post some pics soon. my tank looks well better

What lighting and flowrate do you have in that tank? My Girlfriend keeps freshwater puffers in the same tank and the stock lighting and flowrate are no where near enough for corals of any sort.

Andy

Do you know this coral's needs? Do you have enough flow and lighting etc? Is it photsynthetic? Does it need spot feeding? You really need to know all this before buying a coral!

yes i did research. it is photosynthetic but will benefit baby brineshrimp iodine and trace elements the flow rate is medium to strong lighting is moderate to high. i got it because my green star polyps say that they need moderate to strong lighting and they are doing perfect. i am goin to my lfs tomorrow i think to get a 70 watt (what i have been told will do the job). my tank is 28 liters will a 70 watt do the jobb.
thanks

It'll do the job, but just make sure you watch your temperature... If the fixture you buy from the LFS does not have fans built-in you may want to invest in like a desk clip-on fan to point at the light or the water surface.

I assure you, the stock lighting and pumps are not moderate at all on taht tank. The 70w Halide (i assume) will do the trick for lighting but on a 28 litre it will cause a lot of head like Ski said. Unless you want Clams or SPS a dual T5 setup would be better suited, you could fit 2x 18w T5 tubes in that hood.

You really need to upgrade your flowrate for corals though.

Andy

i cant remember the name of my pump but it does 15 gal and a 20 gal hourly rate or somet like that. also you say 2 x 18 watt T5's will that be enough 36 watts. if so i wil go to my lfs now and get one
thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back