I'M Thinking About Adding Some More Fish

allie95

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
PA
Okay, so I have a ten-gallon freshwater tank set up right now. (I know, pitifully small, but that was the largest my mom would let me get). I currently have three guppies and three platies, all undergoing treatment for bacterial fin rot. The treatment technically ends tomorrow, but I think I'm going to go a day over just in case. But while I wait, I wanted some second opinions because I think that I want another addition or two. Is my tank too full to put any more fish in yet? If not, I was thinking of maybe adding some cories. I know they have to be stocked in groups, though, and if there's not enough room for them, what do you guys think that I should add? I like colorful fish, but also ones with strange quirks. (I don't know why I picked cories, I just love the way they're shaped!)
 
Thew tank is not overstocked right now. If you add in a shoal of normal sized cories ti probably will be overstocked though. Once you think the fin rot is cured, give your tank at least 2 weeks with no new fish added to make sure, before adding in anything more. After the quarantine period, you could try some pygmy cories. There are 3 different species called pygmies. They are the habrosus
Habrosus.jpg

the pygmaeus, shown here following a Heterandria formosa
PygmaeusHeterandria800.jpg

and finally the hastatus.
Closeup800.jpg


You could get away with stocking about 6 of any of them in that tank. The hastatus are shyer than the others and the habrosus stay on the bottom a lot like a typical cory would. The pygmaeus are more adventurous than the hastatus and move around better than the habrosus.
 
Okay, that sounds good. My lfs is a dual fish-and-pets store, so they probably won't have them (oh, and I think I'm going to go with the Habrosus) but I'm going to order them, so they'll be in in about two weeks.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top