I'm Overheating!

Rabbut, get yourself an air conditioner - they are not that expensive anymore, the cheap ones are a bit noisy, but what the heck - just have it on when you are not in the room/porch.

Do you have a trade place near you, something like Makros, they usually do them for a good price :good: I have a trade card for Makros, but don't think you live near Trod and i do you, or maybe you come down this way sometimes?

Seffie x

:fish:

I don't see myself comming near Essex any time soon, but I'll bare your offer in mind if I am passing and decide to go down the air-con route :good:

Thanks Seffie
Rabbut

look out for B&Q 3G weeknd. They often have them on offer for less than £80. Its like once a month or 6 weeks ish. Will be in papers/tv etc. Ive had some right bargains

Just had our first humid day of the summer here... My 4 big fans kept the tank down around 80.5F at the hottest. Relative humidity up in the 90% range which is pretty rough for evaporation. Finally rained so the humidity is breaking and the temp is back down a bit, but a good dry run for me. First time with the new variable speed DC fans for me :)

Well, the heat today was giving more headaches. I felt some DIY coming on, and have bought a mini-fridge... You'll see where this is going later, after I've cut up some coke bottle(s), bought some air line as well as mutilating the Ebay purchase upon receipt...

For the time being though, I've borrowed a neighbours cooling fan, and am using that for cooling...

No lights and the tank got to 28c... Oh boy, this is going to be a pain in summer, even after I go onto LED's...

All the best
Rabbut

Feel for you Rabbut, its bad enough keeping a Nano stable without having these heat issues on top.

I am sure we will get a full run down of what you did with the fridge and coke bottles, will look forward to reading it.

if your planning on using the fridge as a diy chiller mate its bin done before with very little sucess. The heat caused the fridge to work really hard and burn out quite quickly.

sugar :sad:

Erm, plan b may be in order then....

I suppose it won't hurt to try though :unsure:

All the best
Rabbut

The workins on a mini fridge arent upto much. They will cool a few cans down from room temp. But a constant trickle of 30 degree water is going to hammer it. Most fridges and freezers go in the summer months. Your meant to let anything cool to room temp before putting them in too. I reckon it would be several times less energy efficient than a propper chiller.

Fair enough. Spent £17-50 on a mini-fridge that I'd have no other use for, so I may as well break it in a more useful way now :lol: As, if and when it fails, I'll probably look at getting some fans on the tank before chillers or Air-con, as my folks have expressed strong dissatisfaction about the fan already... :rolleyes: While a large bulky fan is noticeable and noisy, the PC cooling fans at Maplins use like comparatively no power and are relatively quiet. Choose the right ones and they push as much air also, which will do well for now, as that other fan worked to get the temp down in an hour, from 28c to 25c as it should be :hyper:

If both the Mini-fridge and the fans fail to keep temperatures down though, I may be forced to give up the tank unfortunately :sad: The idea of a chiller/aircon unit did not go down well with the folks...

All the best
Rabbut

28 isnt terrible. its a tad on the high side...but its not panic stations. My old tank got up there a few times. Even hit 30 one day. Corals only seemed stressed once it got to 29-30 ish.

Im sure you could sneak a chiller in there somehow. You tanks all built in isnt it? bit of DIY while they are at work and they will never know.

:lol: With the size of most chillers I've seen, I'm sure they'd notice sooner or later... While everything has looked OK thus far, I think I want to make preparations in advance for the expected warm summer this year well in advance, since times at work mean I'm not going to be about to intervene in hot weather most of the summer... A DIY fan system may be rigged up later, to provide air and water cooling... The tank is all built-in as you say, so the fans may well get missed if installed while out at work and if I choose the quieter ones... :lol:

All the best
Rabbut

ive had to switch off my heater today as my tank is hitting the 30 mark too i laeve the window open at night and day with back door open (during day and a large fan blowing the water and the room its in only gets sun until 11 in morning the rest of the time its around the back of the house i cant win with this either the house doesnt even seem that warm and there is a nice cool draft through the day and its fairly dark as im in a mid terrace and hardly any sun on the front i guess im going to have to buy more fans

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back