I'm Overheating!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rabbut

I don't bite, all that often...
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, today we broke 20c outside in the shade. In the porch, where my tank is situated, it hit an air temperature of 24c, with the tank getting up to a whopping 30c!!! :crazy: Needless to say, most corals and my Anemone weren't looking happy and the fish were starting to loose their colours. I've just seen the weather forecasts also, it's likely to get hotter soon :unsure:

So, I have heat issues. I am converting to LED's at some point (on a 150W Metal Halide over a 70l tank only ATM), but don't have the funds yet to do the switch... Until then, I'm stuck with Halides

What can I do about overheating tanks? I have changed the photo-period such that the light is off during the warmest part of the day (16:00-24:00 is what the timer is now set to) but what can I do to cool the tank. I'm likely to struggle with cooling the room also, it caches the sun in the morning (though it does not hit the tank directly).

Any input will be greatly appreciated

All the best
Rabbut

My guess would wither be a fan or a bottle of iced water floated in the sump (you have a sump don't you). The bottle of water would mean someone keep switching it which may be impractical if you are out all day.

Thanks for the input. A bottle of ice in the sump (well skimmer above the tank actually in my case) would make me prone to temperature bounce wouldn't it? Surely a stable but too high temperature is better than one that's nearly Ok but bouncing? Or is there a clever work-arround for those of us that have to be out for 4-5 hours due to exams ATM :unsure:

All the best and thanks for the suggestion
Rabbut

Bottles of ice aren't effective enough. What you need are fans to blow across the water. That will cool your tank most effectively. In the short term, open your windows at night and put up a blanket? or something over the windows in the morning to keep the suns rays out as much as possible. Yes it may not look as good with blankets draped over your windows, but it could be that or your tank frying.

Keep in mind that with fans blowing across your water you'll have more rapid evaporation. You'll have to keep an eye on it. I'm not sure if you have an ATO or not, but now may a good time to look into one.

Bottles of ice aren't effective enough. What you need are fans to blow across the water. That will cool your tank most effectively. In the short term, open your windows at night and put up a blanket? or something over the windows in the morning to keep the suns rays out as much as possible. Yes it may not look as good with blankets draped over your windows, but it could be that or your tank frying.

Keep in mind that with fans blowing across your water you'll have more rapid evaporation. You'll have to keep an eye on it. I'm not sure if you have an ATO or not, but now may a good time to look into one.

Leaving his windows open at night in Leeds will solve his overheating problems since the tank and most of his other valubles will be gone in the morning :lol: :lol:

Now Now, you don't know where about in Leeds he lives, it may be somewhere where it would be ok I suppose. It is a porch aswell so there would be no open access to the house I would presume.

I would also think your common thief would not know how to steal marine creatures or the tank.

You could put Aluminium foil on the windows which would reflect the heat back out, or have a fan blowing accross the halide lights to remove the heat. Depending on budget there are a couple of other options i.e. you can get a portable airconditioner for about £220 or the ones where you put water and ice in for about £50.

I'm insisting frozen water isn't the answer. I remember reading something really big dealing with overheating some where along the line. Your best bet is fans on the tank and doing everything you can to lower the room temperature. If you can't do those, then get a chiller. If those 3 things aren't feasible then move your tank???

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kj

You could put Aluminium foil on the windows which would reflect the heat back out, or have a fan blowing accross the halide lights to remove the heat. Depending on budget there are a couple of other options i.e. you can get a portable airconditioner for about £220 or the ones where you put water and ice in for about £50.

Yeah he puts the foil up and every drug cop will be on that house quicker then stink on poop.

get a nice fan and blow it across the surface, it will cool it the best. adding ice can rapidly drop the temp in the tank. Do you have a heater on the tank?

one quick question, why do you keep it outside? dont you get frigid cold in the winter with snow?

if its a prolonged problem you may need to buy a chiller, my lfs have one in a tank with no heater! as the halides keep the tank so warm.

thats if u have the space and cash

all the best

Bollands

Moving the tank isn't an option, and yes I have the opposite issues with cold in winter, hence a 150W heater on a 70l system :rolleyes: My area of Leeds is reasonably OK if you keep stuff locked up, but we've had 7-8 break-in's over 5 years due mainly to carelessness and leaving stuff unlocked and unguarded...

For the time being, changing the Photoperiod has helped, as I've gone though the hottest part of the day in the porch and not had the temperature go up. Whether that will change in the evening when the light goes on is yet to be seen though... Having looked at chillers, I shudder at the thought of having to add one :sad: This said, if needs must, needs must :sad: Humm, adding fans may be an option....

Thanks all for the input thus far.

I'll update this evening after lights-on with an update, and later in the week when the morning is hotter again...

All the best
Rabbut

Time to back KJ up on this one, Ice is NOT the answer. There is a reason that compressor chillers are rated in TONS of ice, because that's how much ice it would take to equal their output ;). If you guys really want me to go through the math I could, but siffice it to say, it would take rabbut multiple GALLONS of ice lower the temp of his tank by just 1C. You have 3 options to realistically cool a tank with heat problems outside of altering the photoperiod like you have:

First, evaporation. Fans, lots of fans. Obviously then you have to contend with increased evaporation, so don't forget that. But fans can really help a lot. Downside is if the air is really humid, fans are less effective.

Second, active cooling. Either employ a chiller, or air condition the room the tank is in. I A/C the room my tank is in down to 74F which deals with the humidity enough, thus keeping evaporation high.

Third, geothermal. Sounds ridiculous, but if you have a house that has a concrete floor or basement that stays cool, if you coil up hose on it in a closed loop, you can cool the tank pretty well. Even more effective is if you have a sump in your basement, coil some hose in there and run it in a closed loop fashion and you'll have all the cooling you'll ever need.

I used to have a south facing bedroom and aluminum blinds with the slats at a roughly 30 degree angle for about £10 from Argos ( 120/4331 for a quick example ) made it much more bearable for me. We use a lightweight 3/4 curtain in our current living room accross the patio door which also seems to have a great effect.

Well, the good news is that changing the photoperiod has fixed the heat issues for now, but at least I now know a few additional options for if it overheats again any time soon. :good:

Thanks all for your input :hyper:
Rabbut

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back