Fish Tv Ephiphany: The Killjoy Of Micromanagement

Twotables

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I might as well be a born again saltwater tween that everyone shakes thier heads and fingers at because the words to follow will probably make someone want to have Justin Timberlake sing Cry Me A River because *sob* only the Diatomic Fish Fling story makes this worthwhile. So Hi, I'm 38 and wanted fish TV back in my bedroom. I had a 55 gallon Frankentank in college that no one said was possible, plus fish stores where I went to school basically said: 'Good Luck with that' and sent you and your purchase down the road. That said, I went to the beach and carried away two buckets of crushed seashells and stunk my apartment up baking shells and grossing out neighbors letting them cool on my back porch. I put that on top of an undergravel filter.. and a friend from Weyerhauser gave me some marle and after similar treatment, I had my base rock. OOooh. Mix instant ocean, bought two blue damsels. I had that tank five years and moved it with half its water riding in my complaining mother's car, and everything lived. What an easy life that was, and I missed watching my tank and using a flashlight to watch in dismay my coral banded shrimp eat everything that didn't move or peck him back.

That aside, on a whim, after years of talk, I discover nano tanks! Wow, I can have fish TV again. Note to self, no shrimp, no phantom dying snails, and as an added bonus, no boyfriend to argue aquatics with. So, I get out my trusty old books and read, and get on craigslist and get a deal on a jbj 24 gallon tank that was brand new. I'm joyous at this moment because my husband could care less and it was my project. Lets find local fish people. Enter overenthusiastic sales girl who laughs at my list of items and attempts to sell me an entire tank of bull in a day. Are you kidding me? NO.

I just watched you put your hands in the tank with the live rock and tell me its ok if I do. WHAT? I quietly buy sand, a cleaner, a test kit, and what was considered live rock pebbles, a heater and one yellow tailed damsel. I had tested the tank for cracks, and had filtered my well water through a pur filter. {I know} Well, Figi sand and Just say no had everything correct except ph in three days. I had to add buffer(and still do). I waited. Two weeks later I bought one mushroom and I fell for corals.

Lets just say I'm wigging because fish store people should have said throw away sponges, don't use bioballs.. did they? No. I became queen of clean up and what the *(#%(# that was not there this morning!!

So in short, I am dreading digging out those things in the back of the tank but after detritus was everywhere and I was dunking my liverock to clean it, I will be brave. I have two fish. Romeo and Hansel. Romeo is the damsel. Hansel is a Dottyback that decided to hangout inside the rock and come out in my hand at one am because all this happens before vacation. I am screaming like the woman on the stool in Tom and Jerry the cartoon knowing if I step down it will be on the #41#### fish. Needless to say, Hansel fell into the bucket. If it were one am and you packed for a week and a slimy fish fell into your hand, you'd scream and fling too.

Romeo served as my Rin Tin Tin the other day, as I rearranged my rock to get rid of dead spots. I found him looking out at me and my spastic damsel who was a dog in another life.

Anyway, that was a cascade effect from deciding I wanted three fish and bought a large damsel that decided to knock rock down and look like my dog chewed on the middle of his spine. I returned it to the fish store crying and the owner still has my forty dollars swimming around and looking at me. A$*%()#%(*#)(

So what is the point of this? I have a tank my hand is in way too much. My girlfriend let the tank temperature drop six degrees but left the lights on and messed up the timer.. but nobody died.

Right now all my levels are right and then I start reading about minerals and copper and iodine. Crap Nuggets. Somebody give me a book source to buy because I wish I had more time and had taken more time to research things. I need some reliable people to tell me which threads to go read, and please pardon the directness, because I love these forums, but I don't have time. I do know these tanks require work, but I really don't think daily other than lights.

I will add some pics soon, because I have a case of what the heck is that? and eww gross is soon to be whined over.

And I have no crew. Except for a hitch-hiker brittle star and tube worms. The shrimp from years ago scared me off. More to follow on the corals I have that are being mighty nice to me.

Hi, welcome back to the salty side of things. :)

Get some pictures up and we'll work to id the stuff for you.

Have you had a look at this?

MARC

Nano reefs also have their own resource center in the pinned topics. In the link above, there is a thread just on selected reading. I personally like Paletta's the New Marine Aquarium, and Kurtze's the Simple Guide to the Mini reef aquarium. Both are good books.

L

Lets just say I'm wigging because fish store people should have said throw away sponges

Sponges have their uses in saltwater, they're just not terribly effective for the NO3->N2 conversion, but the same is true of much of the other, standard biological filtration used in marine tanks. They are just fine for things like QT tanks since they process NH3/4 and NO2 just fine. Most of the anti-sponge sentiments stem from the nitrate factory idea, which is a myth. That said, I'm not advocating sponge-only tanks (obviously you want live rock in a display tank), but I hate seeing anything potentially related to the nitrate factory myth getting spread around.

Right now all my levels are right and then I start reading about minerals and copper and iodine.

Copper - why are you worried about it? Using tap or are you worried it was used in the tank at some point? There are test kits for it at any rate. If you are concerned about it then do pick one up.

Iodine - leave it alone and keep up with WCs. There are very few cases where forms of Iodine needs attention and none really at the startup level.

Not sure what minerals you were reading about but you can probably leave them alone too unless it concerns aragonite (which is what you want for sand, etc.).

Somebody give me a book source to buy because I wish I had more time and had taken more time to research things. I need some reliable people to tell me which threads to go read, and please pardon the directness, because I love these forums, but I don't have time.

Going to have to be blunt here as well, sorry. If you don't have the time to do a lot of reading to educate yourself thoroughly, then you don't have the time to take care of marine animals safely and properly. Many marine animals are poorly understood compared to things on the freshwater side of the hobby, and the systems are more complex with more things that can go wrong. Substantial reading and research is just part of responsible saltwater husbandry. If you want book recommendations, there's a pinned thread somewhere about with a recommended reading list.

Somebody give me a book source to buy because I wish I had more time and had taken more time to research things. I need some reliable people to tell me which threads to go read, and please pardon the directness, because I love these forums, but I don't have time.

Going to have to be blunt here as well, sorry. If you don't have the time to do a lot of reading to educate yourself thoroughly, then you don't have the time to take care of marine animals safely and properly. Many marine animals are poorly understood compared to things on the freshwater side of the hobby, and the systems are more complex with more things that can go wrong. Substantial reading and research is just part of responsible saltwater husbandry. If you want book recommendations, there's a pinned thread somewhere about with a recommended reading list.

And here it is Donya... I linked to MARC already in this thread, but here is an actual link to the thread on recommended reading. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've probably read 90% of the books on that list. Cover to cover, including the Borneman book on corals. Do I understand all of it? Nope. Will I have to reread a bunch of it again? Yep.

Recommended Reading

L

Thanks for the information and leads, because I really enjoy my tank and at the moment, have a case of: I really need that clean up crew! I have a case of invasive anemones plus juvenile starfish. The OMG, what is that is actually a spoon worm, and considered a good thing to have as a hitchhiker according to another couple of websites. I appreciate all the candor, as my tank has just taken off exponentially, and I really wish I had gotten a bigger tank, and the war and peace was frustration, because I love taking care of the tank, I just had a problem with day to day care. Since I posted, I added a powerhead, got rid of all the sponges but one, and its there to manually catch big things and I sawed it in half. Those sponges were a big hold up that once removed, plus bioballs, everything fell into place. It is amazing how one detail can dramatically affect water quality.

Now, due to the invasive problem, local aquatic store advised peppermint shrimp, but I have the dottyback and he said I might need to take him out of the tank for a few days and let the shrimp go to work and clean up things. What? And then put Hansel back in so he can eat twenty bucks? My plantive cries of foul led the store owner to giggles and pretty much we're working on it. I told him he still has my forty dollars swimming at his store.

He's really nice though, I should not complain, because most places really don't have the emergency system he does. He always calls back and helps. I've yet to bust him on the sponges, but he takes it well. He even takes the powerhead purchase from petco pretty well. :)

Get Aiptasia X to take care of the aiptasia. It works great. Read the directions and do exactly as it says.

For snails, I'd go with 4 Nassarius, 6 cerith, maybe some astrea or nerites. Those last two arne't really meant from our tanks. Astrea come from slightly cooler water and nerites need to get out of the water at some point.

Most reactions

Back