I'm Not Impressed

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
on My topic, "Now I'm really relying on you guys".... I actually did a step by step progressive installment based on majority "feeling"...... Now in aftermath, if I had a second chance to do it all over again,..... I'd without doubt go the different route.

I opted for the 10 to 12 Large fish installation in the pub restaurant, but, would much rather have gone for the 200 to 300 small schooling fish alternative if I have to do it again.

Currently, the Giant gourami overwhelms the Albino Oscars.... (they're hiding all the time... and all plastic plants are uprooted in a day or 2)....

I'd much rather have installed a well planted tank with schooling fish. Because I'm not happy.... I have suggested the metamorphisis, at my cost.
 
Oscars hate plants.

Well, more accurately, they just hate where you put them, and love nothing more than to suggest another location for them :lol:

Well,... they have bred about 5 times since they were put in the tank, But ate the eggs after (longest) 2 days.....
 
what size is the tank?
could you not get some nice bogwood and rock's and set up up like a river bed

love tanks like that its the look im aiming for with mine got some nice redmoor root in there and some rocks just trying to find some nice real mangrove roots to replace the artificial ones next
 
what size is the tank?
could you not get some nice bogwood and rock's and set up up like a river bed

love tanks like that its the look im aiming for with mine got some nice redmoor root in there and some rocks just trying to find some nice real mangrove roots to replace the artificial ones next

Don't get me wrong... They all think it looks good and are very impressed by the display, but I just know,.... It would look better with a planted scenario....
 
i like big planted tanks. when i got mine i had these visions of a wonderfull kind of kelp foresty underwater jungle kind of effect. then i bought a severum and that all went out of the window. :lol:

if the tank is big enough maybe you could think about installing a partition and having the best of both worlds?

ps any chance of some pics of the tank? would love to see it
 
could you not look for some nice large plastic plants?


Hi Nelly... I do have some large plastics in there, & I put big rock on top of 'em.... Next day,..... They're floating. Looks like I'll have to sillicon them to the bottom, if they're gonna last!
 
The problem with planted tanks is they are a pain in the #### to keep looking nice. You either have plants that die because you dont give them the right light or ferts or plants that constantly need to be pruned, cut back and shaped because they grow so quickly.

I loved my planted tank but even my marine tank is less work then that used to be :)
 
Also would a planted tank get the same appreciation that the current setup has?

I know personally a big tank with small fish wouldn't really get my attention for long, apart from the initial once over.
whereas Oscars and a Giant Gourami :drool: would have me hooked. (even though I can't see a Giant Gourami having enough room in the tank long term)

I think if the Gourami was replaced the tank would have a lot of options provided that fish can be sourced.
Bichirs, Silver Dollars, Tinfoils, Black ghost knife, big catfish mixed in with the Oscars would really get my attention
 
Also would a planted tank get the same appreciation that the current setup has?

I know personally a big tank with small fish wouldn't really get my attention for long, apart from the initial once over.
whereas Oscars and a Giant Gourami :drool: would have me hooked. (even though I can't see a Giant Gourami having enough room in the tank long term)

I think if the Gourami was replaced the tank would have a lot of options provided that fish can be sourced.
Bichirs, Silver Dollars, Tinfoils, Black ghost knife, big catfish mixed in with the Oscars would really get my attention

Bichers, I've never seen here in SA, but tinfoils and Silver Dollars.... I have considered.... Maybe I should just close my eyes and flush the Giant Gourami :lol: (thought that'd get your attention).... I'm not serious.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top