I'm Back Into The Hobby!

akoblitz

New Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've got some quick questions.... First no I'm not new to keeping fish I've had:

2 20 gallon (Ciclid, tropical fully planted)
3 55 gallon (tropical fully planted, tropical way to many plants, salt water fish/lr)

I went on to sell and give away the rest of my fish stuff for various reasons. The other day someone at work offered me a fish tank that they had laying around. Long story short I'm back into FISH again, I belive the tank is a 20 high, maybe a 24 high. Regardless I really really want to have a great setup this time.

First question (filter):
I'm planning on having a fully planted tank. To start I would like to get a canaster filter (I know even on a 20) for various reasons, noise being a main factor along with having ample gph turnover. I was thinking about ordering this: Aquarium Water Quality & Filtration: Eheim ECCO Canister Filters however if you have better suggestions please feel free to point me in the correct direction.

Second question (Co2):
Previously on my tanks I had the bubble difuser hob for co2. This however I had to alway obtain new packets of yest and had to deal with that smelly MESSY thing. What is this: CO2 Reactor 1000 and is this something I can hook up to a co2 device? Could someone please explain, and again if you could point me in the correct dierction that would be greatly appreciated.

Third question (lighting):
I currently have 2, 15 watt lights left over from previous setups on my ciclid tanks. Seeing as this is a 'high' tank, what wattage would you recommend me having? I think before I had around 3-4 watts/per. Would 2 per be ample or do I need to purchase a new light.

Thanks for your help... expect to see lots of me in the future! Hopefully I keep it to just this tank... for a while!
 
Welcome back Akoblitz. I got back into it myself about 5 years ago so I can sympathize with the desire to do it right the next time. For a filter, I find a Rena XP1 is plenty for my 29 gallon so I would think it would be more than enough for a 20H. I have never used Eheims so I have no opinion of them. For CO2, the diffusers are to break up the CO2 into small bubbles that dissolve easily. I am fairly new to CO2 myself but ended up with a 10 lb bottle, a regulator and solenoid combination and of course a diffuser. The regulator came with a bubble counter so I could properly adjust my CO2 flow for the plants. I ended up plugging the solenoid into my light timer so that the CO2 would be flowing when the lights were on for photosynthesis. It just seemed right. The 2, 15 watt bulbs are a bit light for a 20H tank. At that light level you would not need CO2 or any fertilizers for the low light plants they could grow. To get to medium light where the CO2 and ferts would be needed, you would need at least 40 or 50 watts. Even there, you would not be unlimited in what you could grow.
 
welcome back!

As far as filtration is concerned I would recommend going with the eheim classic instead of the ecco. I have heard that the eccos often have parts that break. The classic is just that classic!. I run a 2213 on my 20 gallon and I couldn't ask for anything better.

Also I would go up to at least 65 watts that way you have enough light to grow pretty much whatever you want...

check out the single satellite compact 65 watt...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=11418
make sure to order a dual daylight bulb if you go with this fixture because it comes with a a daylight/actinic which is not suitable for plant growth.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top