If You See A Dyed Fish At Your Lfs/lps...

it is that simple

if they are either prepared to display it or don't have the knowledge required to determine the problem then ultimately it is the same... if it is displayed & someone wants to but they will inevitably sell, & if they don't know better then they do not have sufficient knowledge of their industry to be worth dealing with



A lot of 'ifs' there. Would you say that any shop that doesn't have the facility to house the fish out of sight should simply flush them as soon as they arrive?.


If the fish were badly diseased would it be OK to display

if it were a disfigured or injured dog/cat/rabbit would it be Ok to show it with the others? or perhaps only 1 puppy with pierced ears? ( no, this would probably cause a riot)

Any fish shop worthy of the name should have facilities for dealing with the issue of incorrect or inappropriate stock being sent either as replacement or by mistake, there really is no excuse whatsoever.

there are 2 kinds of retail fish outlet:- those who do it right & those who don't give a toss, I know which I will trade with & which I wont.


no fish should ever be flushed, even when dead.
 
id speak to the manage and if i didnt like the responce or felt that he/she was full of rubish didnt know what they were talking about or just arrogant i would take my buisness elsewere at the end of the day they need you a lot more than you need them
 
is there any point "informing" him, wont they know anyway if they own the god damn shop!?, i would ask them if its cruel and see what their responce is, if they say yes then i would ask why they stock the ******* then? or if they said no i would never shop their again

lets go marines, get ready for the next round!
 
regarding dyed fish in uk i think this still stands:

that the importation into, or the acquisation, release or marketing of any geneteically modified organism ie fish, within the uk is prohibited unless a consent has been granted in accordance with article 111 of the environmntal protection act 1990
 
I think people are being a bit harsh. It's hard not to find a dyed fish in most stores around me. I only get upset if there are lots dyed fish. For example, My favorite store has some where around 200 tanks I think. They give excellent info, won't sell a fish just cuz the person wants it. They can get lots of rare hard to find fish, celestial pearl danois, fresh water stingrays, seahorses, and ect. Of course you are going to find some dyed fish too, painted tetras, dyed JB, and dyed botia seem to be the ones normally carried. I'm not going to stop going there just because a few tanks have some dyed fish.

Its when I go to a store that has only 20 tanks and they have the same amount of dyed fish. That when it bothers me.
 
what exactly is the difference they are still dyed fish irregardless of the quantity or other stock. Would you say the same if they had a couple of mutilated cats?
 
I think people are being a bit harsh. It's hard not to find a dyed fish in most stores around me. I only get upset if there are lots dyed fish. For example, My favorite store has some where around 200 tanks I think. They give excellent info, won't sell a fish just cuz the person wants it. They can get lots of rare hard to find fish, celestial pearl danois, fresh water stingrays, seahorses, and ect. Of course you are going to find some dyed fish too, painted tetras, dyed JB, and dyed botia seem to be the ones normally carried. I'm not going to stop going there just because a few tanks have some dyed fish.

Its when I go to a store that has only 20 tanks and they have the same amount of dyed fish. That when it bothers me.


its illegal though mate.

and this makes them a really bad store then doing this.

they obviously havent signed the petition and are clearly not supporting it. and probably just $$$$$$
 
argh, I lost internet connection for a few days, and actually forgot about this thread.

I bought the red one, now what. ): Is there anyway to get rid of the colour..?
 
A commonly available and popular fish, the Colored Skirt Tetra is a strain of fish developed from the White Tetra that have a natural pink or blue coloration....White Skirt Tetras are often dyed in various pastels colors. Both natural and artificially dyed specimens are sold under various colored names like the Blueberry Tetra, Strawberry Tetra, or Rainbow Tetra. Be sure to inquire about which type of specimen you are obtaining.

[URL="http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/char...dSkirtTetra.php"]http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/char...dSkirtTetra.php[/URL]

Soup is lying again :rolleyes:
 
I think people are being a bit harsh. It's hard not to find a dyed fish in most stores around me. I only get upset if there are lots dyed fish. For example, My favorite store has some where around 200 tanks I think. They give excellent info, won't sell a fish just cuz the person wants it. They can get lots of rare hard to find fish, celestial pearl danois, fresh water stingrays, seahorses, and ect. Of course you are going to find some dyed fish too, painted tetras, dyed JB, and dyed botia seem to be the ones normally carried. I'm not going to stop going there just because a few tanks have some dyed fish.

Its when I go to a store that has only 20 tanks and they have the same amount of dyed fish. That when it bothers me.


its illegal though mate.

and this makes them a really bad store then doing this.

they obviously havent signed the petition and are clearly not supporting it. and probably just $$$$$$

Sadly it is not illegal in the US. Petsmart, Walmart, and most other stores carry dyed fish.
 
A commonly available and popular fish, the Colored Skirt Tetra is a strain of fish developed from the White Tetra that have a natural pink or blue coloration....White Skirt Tetras are often dyed in various pastels colors. Both natural and artificially dyed specimens are sold under various colored names like the Blueberry Tetra, Strawberry Tetra, or Rainbow Tetra. Be sure to inquire about which type of specimen you are obtaining.

<a href="http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/char...dSkirtTetra.php" target="_blank">http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/char...dSkirtTetra.php</a>

Soup is lying again :rolleyes:


Hey, none of those are my words. lol I simply found the link, quoted it and supplied the source. I thought it was interesting because I had always assumed that all skirted tetras other than white or black were dyed. Please provide your source disproving the link that I provided.
 
Well, if you decide to change fish stores, good for you. Think about this, if they are making about 10 bucks a day off of these fish, they arent going to stop selling them just for 1 customer. Do you make them that much money a day? If the rest of the fish store is good besides a few painted tetra, then that is your loss, not theirs. Just dont buy it if you dont like it. If you tend to buy a lot of smaller fish and you go to the lfs often, they will notice your are specifically avoiding painted fish. You add to the amount of customers that come in, and the ratio of people buying painted fish to those who dont goes down, making fish stores think that it might be more profitable changing to a different type of fish. If everybody that knows about painted fish avoids the stores, guess what, all their profit comes from painted fish.

I think a better approach would be asking them to stock a different type of fish instead of those instead of just telling the fish store they are wrong. Just suggest that those things look hideous and more people may like X fish. Fish stores arent about just making customers happy, its about profit. If you tell them they may be able to make more money by making room for some other fish, they will probably listen to that. There is no way they are going to listen to "Painted fish are unethical so im not going to shop here anymore. Get rid of them and I will come back." An extreme comparison would be like telling 7-11 to stop selling cigarettes and alcohol because they kill people and its unethical. They arent going to stop doing it, and theres no product that will replace these, but fish are just fish and people arent addicted to them like that, so itll be a lot easier.
 
They're the most slowest sellers ever. (5$ ea. really stupid.)

And I can't change lfs. The next nearest lfs to me is either a different city. (I think, I have to pass two to get to Big Al's Aquarium)
Or, walmart.
 
regarding dyed fish in uk i think this still stands:

that the importation into, or the acquisation, release or marketing of any geneteically modified organism ie fish, within the uk is prohibited unless a consent has been granted in accordance with article 111 of the environmntal protection act 1990

And what has that got to do with anything? Since when does GM=dyed? Two completely different things.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top