If This Happened To You

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Lastnight i heard a driping noise coming from nowhere, i throught the pipes from the ceiling were leaking, but they weren't. so i left it alone. next thing the aquarium is sitting on a material to soakup any spills and it turned out all wet and gone brown lol.
i took a look at the back and there was water everywhere! i do not know where it was coming from but the filter was wet at the bottum. so i lifted it up and cleaned it. the question is...

what would you do if your aquarium broke and fish + water went everywhere :D

Same as CFC, main tank holds just under 1300 litres so lots of water to go everywhere, the house and the tank are insured, but the contents are not, so my fish would be in bathtubs around the house :)

Save the fish in buckets, call the insurance company and get an even bigger tank! :rolleyes:

In my case my tanks are not insured as the fish house is considered to be an outbuilding and therefore is only covered for theft of items up to £1500, items worth more than that need to be seperately listed. We found that out when the storm last year ripped off the crappy plastic roof and the rain ruined all the items i had stored in there, thankfully i hadnt started converting it to a fish house at that point. I'd need some mighty big buckets to put the fish in too :lol:

I would probably panic for a few minutes. I'm always very nervous about this. I've got an extra tank on the main level but couldn't house everything in there if there was a problem. You have to care for your fish but at the same time you do your best to treat/care for them the best you can.

I've had a few accidents while taking/adding water and I've made my share of messes. My friend lost her big tank in a house fire once. It was over 100g and then the heat got to it it shattered. she said that the fireman came out with a look on his face because the water almost put him on his butt.

I think id panic if CFC's fish broke out aswell :p haha

I would cry :crazy: , then dry my feet and stick ma wellies on

Well funnily enough me being my lazy self I have had a flooding problem. :shifty: Just yesterday changed the discus water and I left the hose pipe running in the tank, 20 mins later water it literally pouring through a crack, inbetween the conservatory and houses ceiling, 6 feet long.I thought it was raining or something :lol: , then my dad pointed out it was coming from my room and it was not raining....Sure enough it was, 1 cm of water covering half the floor and 1 discus flopped out the tank while the others floating about.In goes the net, place them in my 8 gal with guppies to recover, now there in a tank with 2 inches of gravel and a height of 10 inches..so of they go splashing and injuring themselves more.The tank they were in was freeeezing, like 15c(from 29C).I leave the clown loach, rainbow fish in, and ablino cory in as they are hardyish when it comes to temp swings, and they were acting ok.Plus I was under risk of electricution!.Turned all the power of and mopped the water up, I then brought 3 of my 300watt heaters up, plugged them in turned the filters back in.ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ the tank (the one the rainbow etc were in) had quite strong electrical current running through it, so strong I could barely touch it for more than 2 seconds (well I could but I didn't want to after initially finding out!) but the fish were acting normal.Of everything goes again, 10 mins later I plug it back in, all is working fine while the discus have calmed down (after injuring themselves)...No deadly electricity running through the tank water (it must of soaked through the houses electrics).
All si fine now though, luck was on my side lol.
Im an idiot :look:

Happened to me recently, not a major flood but realised my tank was leaking slightly, it was only an 18G that had some minnows and 3 adf's in so they got chucked in another tank, drained all the water away and chucked it on the drive(almost literally, I was very very annoyed!). At the moment I don't have any tanks / fish that would put me into a panic if there was a small leak as I could easily move fish around and drain the tank. On the other hand if it was massive leak I could save the fish and cry over the mess lol. As long as it didn't effect any of the consoles / big tv etc in the room I wouldn't care about the mess it made of the carpet / wood floor, we're selling this dump so I wouldn't mind :lol:

I do worry about it happening though, it shouldn't be too bad but every night I have to check everything before going to bed and many many times I have got up out of bed as I am so sure I can here something trickling / dripping / funny noise only to find it was a tap or similar noise. The worst is lately the farm up the road has been burning alot of stuff lately and the smell of smoke is awful, a few times I've got up to check it's none of my equipment causing the smell.

I would probably cry, panic and then get the crap kicked out of me by my house mates because both of my tanks are on the second floor and I would have just flooded the living room.

Other then that I would put as much livestock as possible into buckets/containers and then try and get another tank set up for them ASAP.

This is one of my biggest nightmares though.

I do worry about it happening though, it shouldn't be too bad but every night I have to check everything before going to bed and many many times I have got up out of bed as I am so sure I can here something trickling / dripping / funny noise only to find it was a tap or similar noise. The worst is lately the farm up the road has been burning alot of stuff lately and the smell of smoke is awful, a few times I've got up to check it's none of my equipment causing the smell.

I'm so glad its not just me that does this!!! My next door neighboors have an open fire so sometimes I smell smoke as well and go round every pluf socket to double check (mainly because I had a HiFi a few years ago that malfunctions and I woke up to a room full of smoke and a higi that was half melted).

One of the fish in my planted tank likes to make splashing noises as well at night so often just as I'm drifting off to sleep they wake me up with a splashing sound meaing I have to get out of bed and turn the light on to check that either the tank hasnt broken, the filter is working and that none of the fish have jumped out the tank. Sure they do it on purpose and whenever I turn the light on they are all just sitting their as if to say "wasnt me....." :)

Edit: bah, to many typos to even try and fix that.. :)

Well funnily enough me being my lazy self I have had a flooding problem. :shifty: Just yesterday changed the discus water and I left the hose pipe running in the tank, 20 mins later water it literally pouring through a crack, inbetween the conservatory and houses ceiling, 6 feet long.I thought it was raining or something :lol: , then my dad pointed out it was coming from my room and it was not raining....Sure enough it was, 1 cm of water covering half the floor and 1 discus flopped out the tank while the others floating about.In goes the net, place them in my 8 gal with guppies to recover, now there in a tank with 2 inches of gravel and a height of 10 inches..so of they go splashing and injuring themselves more.The tank they were in was freeeezing, like 15c(from 29C).I leave the clown loach, rainbow fish in, and ablino cory in as they are hardyish when it comes to temp swings, and they were acting ok.Plus I was under risk of electricution!.Turned all the power of and mopped the water up, I then brought 3 of my 300watt heaters up, plugged them in turned the filters back in.ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ the tank (the one the rainbow etc were in) had quite strong electrical current running through it, so strong I could barely touch it for more than 2 seconds (well I could but I didn't want to after initially finding out!) but the fish were acting normal.Of everything goes again, 10 mins later I plug it back in, all is working fine while the discus have calmed down (after injuring themselves)...No deadly electricity running through the tank water (it must of soaked through the houses electrics).
All si fine now though, luck was on my side lol.
Im an idiot :look:
:lol:

Dont feel bad, I have overflown my tanks 3 times now with the python, I will never learn to stay in the room while doing water changes.

And I panic like crazy everytime too. My poor neighbor below me must hate me :lol:

Drew

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back