Ideas For Black Aquarium Background?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JoebW

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im having trouble with getting a black background for my 20 gallon long aquarium. Any ideas? I have already tried black trash bags, to no avail(DEEP creases). Paint isn't an option (Dad won't let me). If you live in the US and know and stores that sell black material for the cheap, I would greatly appreciate if you could tell me. All other opinions and suggestions are greatly needed and appreciated.

Thanks,
Joeb

Try your local hobby store, A1 piece of black card should do the trick. If you need to use 2 pieces just secure them together with sellotape from the back and you wont notice the join from the front.
good.gif

I've heard of people using black fabric, if that might be easier for you to get.

-Livewire88- that is what I did for a blue background, I couldn't find one to buy so I just did that! It actually looks really nice. :)

I used a binbag. Because it's not really dark it's not overpowering. I have the same size tank, cut the bin bag to size, stuck it on with double sided tape and hey presto! Doesn't look too bad ;) 

Fishywishy333 said:
-Livewire88- that is what I did for a blue background, I couldn't find one to buy so I just did that! It actually looks really nice.
smile.png

Cool, 

When I set up my new tank I am planning on having 3-4 different backgrounds, I will use small sticky magnets to hold them to the back of the tank, this way it will be easy to swap from one color to the next 
good.gif

I don't know about America but on ebay I found a supplier that sold by the height and then you just order the length you want. Just try putting black aquarium background into the search engine. Hope this helps 
yes.gif

Joeb, run to walmart and get black poster board. It's all I use on my tanks. costs like 70 cents.

Bin bag here, trick is to stretch it gently from each corner. Overstretching it causes deep wrinkles.

Yeah, I use  black bin liners on all my tanks; cheap and cheerful!

I painted the back of my tank using black paint board paint. Tool a lot of coats to cover all the streaks but it looks good.

You could try Home Depot also, they sell plastic cling material used for tinting windows.

I used poster board. Picked it up at the dollar store, $2.00 and a little tape... Looks great

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back