Ideas for 15 litre (4 US gallon) nano setup

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

George Farmer

ad aqua
Reaction score
I'm currently setting up a 4 G, dimensions 16" x 8" x 8". Substrate is inert fine aquarium sand covering a layer of laterite. Lighting is a flourescent 12" 5/8" diameter 8W Arcadia Freshwater Lamp (7500K) with DIY reflector. CO2 will added via a DIY setup, I'm aiming for approx 25 mg/l. I'm planning on having a lawn of Echinodorus tennelus and a (well-trimmed) Thai Lotus Lily as the centre piece. I'm thinking of going unfiltered and using water from my 125 litre, changing frequently. The water parameters; pH 6.6, GH 6, KH 3, Nitrates < 10mg/l, Phosphate undetectable.

My question is what to stock? I was thinking 1 Oto, a couple of Algae shrimps, and possibly a couple of male guppies. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Personally I wouldn't get an otto because they like to be in groups, they're also high waste producers for their size, which might be a problem as it's unfiltered....but might not be, if it's heavily planted. i dunno. :)

Have you ruled out the idea of a betta? They're the usual choice for small tanks. Otherwise I would go with two guppies and two shrimp. :)

In my opinion, stay away from the bettas, they just don't fit in with a nicely planted tank. I can visualize what you have in mind, a complete low carpet with one plant in the middle or wherever, gonna look simple and beautiful. Gotta have otos and shrimp, they're like the life behind the life of the tank, something you don't notice at first. Guppies would be a nice colorful addition, but perhaps a small group of shoaling fish? Like rasboras, rummy nose, or neons? Since you're going to have pointy grass, it would be awesome to have fish that are capable of swimming among or hiding in it, I don't think guppies do that... Anyways, hope I helped in some way. Good luck.

konrad05 said:
In my opinion, stay away from the bettas, they just don't fit in with a nicely planted tank.
I just wanted to say that I disagree with the comment above. My bettas look great in smaller, planted tanks. They all seem to love the plants, too.

Bangin said:
konrad05 said:
In my opinion, stay away from the bettas, they just don't fit in with a nicely planted tank.
I just wanted to say that I disagree with the comment above. My bettas look great in smaller, planted tanks. They all seem to love the plants, too.
So do I.

I think the tank you described would look great with a betta.

Not to mention the betta would flourish in that tank, with no currant. :D

If you don't like the long fins, you could get a plakat or a female.

Thanks for the opinions guys, I thought of a Betta but decided against it. I like the idea of a small shoal Konrad, I was just concerned about the waste. Look out for some pics soon.

what about three neon tetras?

How about some peacock gobies they love being in planted tanks and are very pretty and stay really small!

I've just learnt (from plantedtank.net/forums) that 8 Watts is far to little light. Apparently the watts per gallon rule goes out of the window with small tanks and I should be aiming for at least 5 WPG.

Anyone on this forum had success with a heavily planted nano-tank?

I have a 5 gallon tank with 40W 6500K ( 2x 20W CF) light over it, and I would say 40Watts is the min to grow most plants.. if you add 40 watts over a plant it grows well. meaning I could grow most plant under 40w doesnt matter if its a 5 or 20 gallon. might even get a 30 gallon tank going with 40 watts..

I also want to add I have a 10G with 60Watts of light and its by no mean to much.
and my 65Gallon has 80Watts and the plant grows just aswell..

A shoal of Beckford pencilfish (nanostomus beckfordi)! Just picture these 1-inch darts hovering about your aquarium.....
(I have these fish, but these pics ain't mine)

040108.jpg

A0614.gif

nannosbeckfordi.jpg

Nannostomus%20beckfordi.JPG

Silly me - I'm beginning to understand now. Thanks.

Itty - Nice fish. I'm going to start with shrimp only at first, then who knows.

A small group of the mountain minnow would look wonderful. Say 3 or 4. They do like swimming room but I have seen them in these planted nano tanks and they seem fine.

ALASKA

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back