ID please

BanjoFish

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 7, 2026
Messages
268
Reaction score
220
Points
43
Location
Bedford UK
Do I have M and F or two males?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0341.webp
    IMG_0341.webp
    37.9 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0340.webp
    IMG_0340.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 52
I need a bit more info. These look like standard honey gouramis, and they look male but photos are blurry and more context is needed. How old are they, etc.
 
You can see the fish themselves - do they both have a blackish patch in the fin under the body or is it just the way they look in the photos? If they do, they are males. Females don't have this black, either on the fin under the body or the throat.
 
Can you take a clearer photo? It looks like two males, based on colours but I need to see the dorsal fin and body shape as those are the biggest giveaways.
 
I see two males of a linebred variety, but they are young and blurry.
 
I've kept this variety of honey gourami in the past and both photos look the males I had. Females of this variety are also yellow but without the black throat.

For comparison, this is a photo of one of my yellow honey males - notice the black throat and black patch on the fin under the body.
Yellow male.JPG

and a female which has no black.
Yellow female.jpg

I know the gender of these fish as they spawned several times/
 
Hopefully this may be a better picture.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0344.webp
    IMG_0344.webp
    147.1 KB · Views: 53
I know AI is dodgy but it reckons both are female.
I thought two females were out of the picture since you asked whether it's a male and female or two females.

Also, yes AI isn't super reliable, but it isn't awful at IDing fauna. However, with your photos it may have trouble since they are somewhat blurry. If real fishkeepers think the photo isn't clear enough to fully tell, than AI is most likely not going to help.
 
I thought two females were out of the picture since you asked whether it's a male and female or two females.

Also, yes AI isn't super reliable, but it isn't awful at IDing fauna. However, with your photos it may have trouble since they are somewhat blurry. If real fishkeepers think the photo isn't clear enough to fully tell, than AI is most likely not going to help.
I'd rather two females than two males. No worrying about aggessive behaviour then.
 
That's not what I mean, you initially asked:
Do I have M and F or two males?
So I thought that 2 females were out of the picture as an option.

I can surely identify what sex the gouramis are if you send a clear photo.
 
Hope these help.

The fish seem to be extremely camera shy.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0349.webp
    IMG_0349.webp
    32.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0348.webp
    IMG_0348.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0347.webp
    IMG_0347.webp
    128.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0346.webp
    IMG_0346.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 36

Most reactions

Back
Top