Id Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Some plants have the ability to reproduce a few different ways - not sure about amazon swords though.

just done some back reading on this. and yes they can produce by runners, learn something new every day, never seen/heard of them doing it before though.. its defo a type of sword then 

Cool! Is it going to do okay in my lighting? Two T8 15W thingydos. And I put in flourish..if that helps at all. >.<

It's not an amazon sword but it's an echinodorus species.
They are normally sold after being grown emersed, so all these leaves will shed/melt more likely under water and the plant will take it's permanent different shape which may look nothing like this.

They are heavy root feeders. They'll do well with some sort of root tabs too.
You are dosing Flourish, but flourish what? Carbon, comprehensive, frourish nitrogen, etc...?They are all different and each is a small part of a bigger picture.

Light is normally not an issue with most plants so any light will do as long as there's light.

See the picture below of one of mine echnidodoruses transformation from emersed to submersed. The one on the picture on first line is echinodorus rose. The old leaves are the green ones you see just at the front(taller leave) and the two damaged to the left side of the plant(one hidden under the others). The new leaves are the pinkish ones. I've since removed all previous leaves.
 Keep in mind that although yours looks similar to the old leaves of my echinodorus rose, it could be a totally different kind.  I've got 4 types of echinodorus that all arrived with exactly the same leave shape but each changed eventually.  So ones yours grows new leaves, repost the picture for a proper ID.

dscf4680k.jpg

Our substrate is flora max if that helps at all ( http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147295&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo ) Not sure if that link will work. And I can't find the flourish we have online to link it but I'll write what the bottle says. Flourish excel organic carbon for the planted aquarium from seachem :blink: I look forward to seeing the plants transformation! It's had that runner on it for a while, should I do anything or leave it? Should we get root tabs? And can someone tell me how root tabs work  :p

If you are going to be dosing flourish excel which is a just a source of carbon for the plants, then you need to dose micro nutritients and macro nutritients, otherwise your plants will suffer and you'll get algae. They need all these to grow+ light which you already have.  Also, flourish excel should be dosed daily as it has just a 24 hr life cycle and micro(also called trace elements) and macro(nitrate, phosphate, potassium, etc....)ferts on alternate days(never together as some can react with each other).  Be careful with flourish excel because in high doses it's dangerous to sensitive fish and inverts. Start with the recommended dose on the bottle, but spread daily.

Root tabs contain certain type of nutritients, depending on the brand. Most contain just micro nutritients, so it's just a partial supplement. They are good for heavy root feeders like echinodorus species but most plants will take that from the water column so liquid micro and macro ferts(or a comprehensive fert that contains both) is fine too.

When dosing carbon, you are technically converting the tank to "high tech" so you'd need weekly 50% water changes to reset the tank in case one goes nuts with dosages and it's important when dosing excel too as it produces bioproducts.

Personally, with just a couple of plants in the tank, I'd just either leave it to the fish waste to provide all nutritients, but still use root tabs locally just near the plants. Once you properly plant the tank and possibly research on how it all works, you can start a full program.

As for the plants, always remove all damaged leaves, leaves with brown spots,etc...they won't magically recover so remove the yellow leaf too.  That runner may start to melt too.

We did do the initial dose like it said and have been doing a capful each day since like I believe it says. We got it because one of the people at the store told us to :p I thought high tech was just when people did the thing with the fire extinguishers. So I should stop putting in the excel and let the fish feed them. With the root tabs I was wondering how often you need to put them in and how many and where..I didn't think having plants would be this complicated.
sad.png
 Sorry for not having a longer response but that hurt my brain a little bit! I'm not the brightest person around
blush.png

High tech is when you supply carbon and nutritients. The difference is that liquid carbon is not as effective as injected CO2, so the plants will grow several times slower but still better than in a non-co2 enriched tank.
You can't put just liquid carbon without the rest of the supplements. You'll end up with algae and nutritient deficiencies on the plants.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back