ID needed on honey guorami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NickT

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i dont know if these are dwarf honeys or just regular honeys??
heres a fue pics of them......
5260.jpg

5261.jpg

if the pics dont help. show me some pics of true dwarf honeys so i can compair.

the reson i am questioning what kind they are is becuse i was told they are dwarf honeys but they look like alot of the pics ive seen of honey gouramis.

i just read the post below mine and i think svlvia answerd my question... they look like standard honeys. they dont seem to have teh shape of the dwarfs.....
maybe im wrong? i hope thay are honeys and not the dwarf type!!!

also i was wondering if teh honeys are born with the orange color and they fade to the drab colors if they become female? cuz one has a point to his dorsal fin (you can see it in the pic) amd is geting darker while the other one who isnt shown is geting lighter and has a shorter more rounded dorsal fin.

They are ordinary honeys :) I think you're going to have to wait and see about color changes. The fins aren't always a good indication of gender in these fish and I've noticed colors vary greatly and there are several hybridized varieties that develop differently. Usualy they are born a little paler than in those pictures (very pretty fish BTW) and then gradualy intensify if male, or stay a pretty similar shade if female. At least that's what mine did :p I would think the darkening fish is a male and the other a female though I've never seen a significant change towards being lighter in any of mine.

sweet! im glad there not dwarfs afterall! since i purchased them ive been lookng into dwarfs and am not happy with there ability to cope with illness.

i think teh one who might be female has not lightend up as much as the male darkend. teh frond of her dorsal has become a bit brown in color and her sides lighted. she also is becoming a bit pudgy, but not like dropsy pudgy, more like shes carrying eggs.
im crossing my fingers on the sex cuz i wanna try my hand at breeding these fish.

can i expect the male to get that nice dark color along his belly?

That depends - strictly speaking, yes, he will eventualy get that dark breeding color. However, there have been many out-crosses (I believe to the dwarf gourami) which have resulted in slightly different strains, many of which don't develop that coloring. I think yours will, though, as his current changes are like the natural honey.

sylvia, how are you at sexing perl guoramis?
i have what i thought was a male perl but some one told me thay think its female.

his/her pics are in teh thred i started called somthing like "55g peacful comunity" unde members aquarium photos. i wold post teh link but for some reson its taking about 2 minuts to load any page on this site today......

Your peral is a female,males will have their dorsal fin ending in a point. Females will have a rounded dorsal, and will be bigger toward the chest area near the pectorals.

I haven't looked yet but I'll go see. Female pearls usualy have a more rounded fin than males who's unpaired fins are always longer and the dorsal is more pointed. Males will also have extended fin rays in the anal fin at maturity and develop a deep orange-salmon color on their underside. Like many other fish, females also generaly tend to bee deeper-bodied while males are more stream-lined and elongate.

I just posted this on that thread BTW:

Yep, it's a she. Notice the more rounded, deeper underside and a non-pointy dorsal. She also doesn't have even a little orange on her throat which most young males do have. As she matures she will also develop an olive coloration on the upper half of her body which she doesn't appear to have in the picture.

Just so you don't have to look there :p

Beautiful pearl! They are my favourite fish :) If it does turn out to be a he please do tell me :p lol. Though I'm 99% shure it's a female - it's just that it's difficult to sex fish from pictures even if they are as good as that one. :) I can't ever get decent pictures (and I don't have a digital camera or scanner either to show you just how bad... :( :p ).

Dwarf Honeys? ive never heard of a dwarf honey? i know theres dwarf gouramis and honey's, but is there a dwarf honey?

There's a variety of dwarf gourami (like the neon blue or flame) that is often called a 'honey' dwarf gourami. I think it's actualy almost identical to the flame. Some people also seem to call honeys 'honey dwarfs' for some reason :unsure: It may have to do with the hybridization.

it does have orange starting to devlope across the analfin. but also its tuning an olive color under the dorsal? maybe its just confused but any way thanks for the complements and i hope its a girl so maybe i can get a fue more and have a breeding pair.

the lfs i purchased it from said they never get females but tehy also told me they only get juviniles so im thinking that they get a bunch of theses guys and they arnt mature enuff to tell the sex so the LFS just asumes there male. it woldnt suprise me if the perl is female ive been misinformed by this lfs a fue times.

Males get the olive color too. :) Females will get a little orange but not as much as the males. We'll just have to wait and see.

Hi,

They are Dwarf Gouramis But they are Not a Natural Coloration.

They Are Fed a Dye to Produce the Red Coloration. They Dye Used in the Process Leaves them open to Illness and they are Very Prone to Dropsy.

You will Notice the Color Fading Over time and the Dwarf Honey Gourami Yellow Beginning to Show through.

I the Right Light you can sometimes see the Black Coloration to the Males.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back