ID appreciated for new plants!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ah I didn't know there was more than one type, ty! Since you know plants and lights I imagine your light is pretty good, and apparently not burning frogbit. Maybe LFS guy didn't know why theirs was brown so blagged it. Shame, I would have paid something for 2-3 tiny bits. Maybe we could trade some frogbit for some water lettuce sometime.
I think the amazon one does better in softer water so if yours (and your lfs') water is hard, that might be it? But yeh, when I've enough I'll send some your way for your RO'd tank :good:

@seangee and @Byron know their frogbit

There are 2 types of frogbit that are almost impossible to tell apart.
Limnobium laevigatum is Amazon frogbit. A true tropical plant that should present no problems.
Hydrocharis morsus-ranae is European frogbit and normally grown outdoors in the UK, so initially it struggles in tropical tanks, both with the heat and humidity. @Byron has this in one of his tanks so that is proof that if you persevere it will eventually adapt.
A few leaves is all you need. Technically only one but I suppose it is possible some will not survive. Next time you're in the shop see if they will give you a leaf or two.
Speak of the devil

I think the amazon one does better in softer water so if yours (and your lfs') water is hard, that might be it? But yeh, when I've enough I'll send some your way for your RO'd tank :good:

@seangee and @Byron know their frogbit

Brilliant, thank you! I can send you some other plants too. Dwarf water lettuce coming out my ears, but also have some nice crypt varieties that will probably need splitting into new plants soon. I'll be posting a bunch of my older plants for better IDing once I'm putting the tank back together I'm sure.

There are 2 types of frogbit that are almost impossible to tell apart.
Limnobium laevigatum is Amazon frogbit. A true tropical plant that should present no problems.
Hydrocharis morsus-ranae is European frogbit and normally grown outdoors in the UK, so initially it struggles in tropical tanks, both with the heat and humidity. @Byron has this in one of his tanks so that is proof that if you persevere it will eventually adapt.
A few leaves is all you need. Technically only one but I suppose it is possible some will not survive. Next time you're in the shop see if they will give you a leaf or two.

Ah, thank you very much, so he might not have been blagging, just had European frogbit that was struggling in that humid shop. I'll definitely ask if I can get a tiny piece if there's any still alive next time I go.

I lost an hour browsing the store and chatting today. They've expanded a good amount, and have far more fish variety than before. Several in there today I'd never seen or heard of before. It was a lovely way to pass an hour.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back