Plant 3:
DSCF1245.JPG
Plant 4:
DSCF1249.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF1244.JPG
    DSCF1244.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 99
Plant 1 is probably the pygmy chain sword (Helanthium tenellum).
Plant 2 is likely a Sagittaria.
Plant 3 is definitely an Echinodorus, and looks like a E. parviflorus 'Tropica'.
Plant 4 is a Vallisneria species.

Echinodorus parviflorus.
Just rolls right off the tongue! I read the name five seconds ago and can't even remember the first letter.
I do appreciate the scientifically accurate ID though! I just need to be a pleb and google some common names for it... :D
Thank you kindly!

Oh wow, how on earth do you planty people tell the difference between dwarf sag and pygmy chain sword (Helanthium tenellum)? They both just look like grass to me!

#1 dwarf sag?
I thought the same, but I can't tell the difference either way :D

Plant 1 is probably the pygmy chain sword (Helanthium tenellum).
Plant 2 is likely a Sagittaria.
Plant 3 is definitely an Echinodorus, and looks like a E. parviflorus 'Tropica'.
Plant 4 is a Vallisneria species.
Thank you very much! You know your plants. Making a note of these so I can look up propagation later. Appreciate your skills, all of you!

Accidentally miss-sold (well, think i gave it away actually) some (short) vallis as dwarf sag once :dunno:

Accidentally miss-sold (well, think i gave it away actually) some (short) vallis as dwarf sag once :dunno:
"It's either a very short vallis or a very tall dwarf sag. Either way, it's £2.99 thank you very much" :rofl:

Anyone know anything about frogbit? There was some in the store today, but almost all of it brown. Could have rescued some tiny bits given half a chance, but he said that it's more of a pond plant, because it goes brown under tank lights. I silently pressed x to doubt, since it seems that half the people here have frogbit in their tanks?

"It's either a very short vallis or a very tall dwarf sag. Either way, it's £2.99 thank you very much" :rofl:

Anyone know anything about frogbit? There was some in the store today, but almost all of it brown. Could have rescued some tiny bits given half a chance, but he said that it's more of a pond plant, because it goes brown under tank lights. I silently pressed x to doubt, since it seems that half the people here have frogbit in their tanks?
I picked up the last 3 crappy bits of frogbit they had last week and threw it in.. its still green and growing new leaves from what i can tell. I believe there's two types, amazon and european, one prefers warmer water?

I picked up the last 3 crappy bits of frogbit they had last week and threw it in.. its still green and growing new leaves from what i can tell. I believe there's two types, amazon and european, one prefers warmer water?
Ah I didn't know there was more than one type, ty! Since you know plants and lights I imagine your light is pretty good, and apparently not burning frogbit. Maybe LFS guy didn't know why theirs was brown so blagged it. Shame, I would have paid something for 2-3 tiny bits. Maybe we could trade some frogbit for some water lettuce sometime.

There are 2 types of frogbit that are almost impossible to tell apart.
Limnobium laevigatum is Amazon frogbit. A true tropical plant that should present no problems.
Hydrocharis morsus-ranae is European frogbit and normally grown outdoors in the UK, so initially it struggles in tropical tanks, both with the heat and humidity. @Byron has this in one of his tanks so that is proof that if you persevere it will eventually adapt.
A few leaves is all you need. Technically only one but I suppose it is possible some will not survive. Next time you're in the shop see if they will give you a leaf or two.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back