Ick?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tl52505

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just saw this spot on one of my neon tetras, I have not seen anything on the fins but a small raised white spot on the side. I just picked them up yesterday. Could this be ick, and if so what should I do

Attachments

• D50CB340-B86A-4378-8378-847C694C3E9C.jpeg
    D50CB340-B86A-4378-8378-847C694C3E9C.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 33
Looks to be ick to me.

Dont add medication yet.

It can likely be fixed by raising the temp in the tank to 86f for 2 weeks if the fish are tropical.
Do a large 80% wc to remove as many parasites as possible.
Before you do that, whats the temp in the tank? If the fish are already in cold water dont raise the heat cause it might kill them, you need to use medication that contains copper or Malachite Green.
If you have carbon in the filter remove it before treating with meds.

Looks to be ick to me.

Dont add medication yet.

It can likely be fixed by raising the temp in the tank to 78-80 for 2 weeks
Before you do that, whats the temp in the tank? If the fish are already in cold water dont raise the heat cause it might kill them, you need to use medication that contains copper or Malachite Green.
If you have carbon in the filter remove it before treating with meds.
Temp is at 80.6, I have a plec in the tank and I have heard your first shouldn’t use those ick meds with plecos

It can likely be fixed by raising the temp in the tank to 78-80 for 48 hours.
No, that temp is too low. Usually it's 84-86 and you slowly raise the temp to that.
Try to keep it like that for a week or two but if the fish seem to be struggling with the heat then turn it down.

Just so the OP knows, copper can kill any snails or shrimps.

Temp is at 80.6, I have a plec in the tank and I have heard your first shouldn’t use those ick meds with plecos
Not sure if the plec will mind temps at 86.
No, that temp is too low. Usually it's 84-86 and you slowly raise the temp to that.
Try to keep it like that for a week or two but if the fish seem to be struggling with the heat then turn it down.

I edited my post.

Sorry the correct temp is actually higher! I was partially wrong 😅
It's actually 86-89°F

Sorry the correct temp is actually higher! I was partially wrong 😅
It's actually 86-89°F
I will try that, I also have a feeling that only the neons will be affected because all other fish have survived 3 rounds of ick. Should I slowly raise it up by the day or just set it to that and let it heat up

I will try that, I also have a feeling that only the neons will be affected because all other fish have survived 3 rounds of ick. Should I slowly raise it up by the day or just set it to that and let it heat up
Raise it over about 48 hours. Less stress to fish.

Just noticed the neon with the spot is hanging away from all of the other neons

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 29
86 is high enough imo
It's the minimum but it should do the trick
Just noticed the neon with the spot is hanging away from all of the other neons
Yah, he probably isn't feeling all that well. Ich can drain a fish no problems. So they may get lethargic and even more so when the temp is raised. Try to increase water movement and add a bubbler if possible

If you can adjust your heater thermostat do that as you are trying to maintain your tank at a new temperature. Use a good quality thermometer to make sure your temperature is correct. Take no notice of the guide on your heater/thermostat they are not usually accurate.

Your tank is already on 80F so just turn the heater up to 86F and let it go up overnight.

Do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate before increasing the temperature.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

----------------------
Keep the temperature at 86F for 2 weeks, or at least one week after all the spots have gone. The heat will kill the parasites and you won't have to use chemicals.

The pleco will be fine at 86F for a couple of weeks.

If the heater can't keep the water warm enough, get some 1-2 inch thick polystyrene foam sheets and tape them to the back and sides of the tank. Have a coverglass on the tank to help trap heat.

I had a similar problem some months ago, and although (most) of my fish came through ok I still wonder if I did everything right… spied one little spot on a new Cardinal, turned up the temp and waited a few days or so, it spread to several other fish so I increased the temp more and added aquarium salt… lost one Cardinal in total so not too bad, but since no-one replying to the OP post has mentioned salt I’m wondering if there’s a reason? I didn’t have plecs, snails, shrimp etc.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back