Ick

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Ya just follow the directions on the package. All you can do is hope and try your best to save them. And thats good that the other fish dont show much signs of ick which is great. Next time quarantine any new fish before putting it in with the others.

Ya just follow the directions on the package. All you can do is hope and try your best to save them. And thats good that the other fish dont show much signs of ick which is great. Next time quarantine any new fish before putting it in with the others.

i am
So mad because I always quarantine new fish and set up my extra tank but I buy from this place so often and i was adding one fish and I was being lazy this is what I get.

Plecos are pretty hardy fish so as long as you stop the ick from spreading you should be good because once the ick is all over the fish it is alot harder to save them.

Plecos are pretty hardy fish so as long as you stop the ick from spreading you should be good because once the ick is all over the fish it is alot harder to save them.

Should I do the full dose? It says do half dose for sensitive fish. Should I quarantine my gourami? He looks healthy now Iā€™m so scared to loose any of my fish but heā€™s my special guy.

My harlequins are acting like they donā€™t like the meds, the other ones are acting fine feeding on the bottom looking for food. My gourami went and hid. I feel like I wonā€™t sleep tonight Iā€™ll just be watching the tank

Iā€™m treating a tank if neon tetras and cories right now. I am now using Ich-X, heat at 86F, and salt. So far, so good with all of my fish. I do 1/3 water change daily before adding med and more salt. Only add back what you took out in aquarium salt and dissolve it first. Also gravel vac daily and then disinfect vac in bleach. Rinse with Prime and water.

Iā€™m treating a tank if neon tetras and cories right now. I am now using Ich-X, heat at 86F, and salt. So far, so good with all of my fish. I do 1/3 water change daily before adding med and more salt. Only add back what you took out in aquarium salt and dissolve it first. Also gravel vac daily and then disinfect vac in bleach. Rinse with Prime and water.

I will do a water change again tomorrow, I do have aquarium salt on hand I can try that too. I will see how they look tomorrow. I only have the temp a little passed the 80 degree mark, so I still have to keep increasing. I used the full dose of ick guard. Praying I donā€™t loose any fish

Ich X contains Victoria Green (aka Malachite Green), which is poisonous to all animals and fish. Do not overdose it because it will kill all the catfish (and possibly all the fish) in the tank.

You also want to avoid using heat and chemicals and salt at the same time because they all reduce the oxygen levels in the tank. You either use heat (30C/ 86F) for 2 weeks, or use chemicals like Malachite Green or Copper Sulfate. But having the temperature at 30C and adding chemicals can push the fish past their limit and kill them.

*NB* Malachite Green/ Victoria Green is carcinogenic (causes cancer) so avoid inhaling or ingesting it and avoid getting it on your skin or clothes. Wash your hands with soapy water after using it or working in the tank.

Wipe the inside of the glass down and do a 75-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate between treatments because Malachite Green does not break down very quickly in water.

----------------
Before you treat the tank, do the following things.
Work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

How do you know if you need a second dose in 24 hours? I put three tabs In it said out one tab per 10 gallons. I can lower the temp back I only moved up a few degrees so far. I did the 75% change prior and took the carbon out. Iā€™ll do another water change tomorrow.

If you are using Malachite Green to treat white spot, you need to keep the medication in the water for a week after all the spots have gone. This ensures all the parasites are dead.

Have the water temperature around 26C when using chemical medications.

Ich X contains Victoria Green (aka Malachite Green), which is poisonous to all animals and fish. Do not overdose it because it will kill all the catfish (and possibly all the fish) in the tank.

You also want to avoid using heat and chemicals and salt at the same time because they all reduce the oxygen levels in the tank. You either use heat (30C/ 86F) for 2 weeks, or use chemicals like Malachite Green or Copper Sulfate. But having the temperature at 30C and adding chemicals can push the fish past their limit and kill them.

*NB* Malachite Green/ Victoria Green is carcinogenic (causes cancer) so avoid inhaling or ingesting it and avoid getting it on your skin or clothes. Wash your hands with soapy water after using it or working in the tank.

Wipe the inside of the glass down and do a 75-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate between treatments because Malachite Green does not break down very quickly in water.

----------------
Before you treat the tank, do the following things.
Work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.
Ich-X is highly recommend by Cory at Aquarium Co-Op and by many others. It is safe for scaleless fish. My fish are all doing fine.

Okay so day two, I havenā€™t lost any fish. The corrydoras are kind of hiding, I donā€™t see any other fish with spots, and the pleco seems to have less dots. I did a water change. My filter is blue now. Do I need to do anything with that? My filter was changed like last week so I donā€™t want to totally wipe the beneficial bacteria. I do have chunks of my old filter in there as well. Iā€™m debating on doing the increasing temp
As well as the meds. My temp is 82 now, it says to do another dose if itā€™s still there in 24 hours but they seem to be getting better but I donā€™t want to totally stress them since they seem a little stressed just watching them swim.

The best and easiest cure for ich is heat.
Raise the temp to 30 degrees with no meds. The lifecycle of the ich parasite is sped up by the heat, so they will drop off of the fish quicker at the higher temperature.
regular gravel vacuuming and water changes will help to reduce the free swimming parasites.
this was the advice given to me, my ich went and I lost zero fish.

If your filter has any active carbon in it remove it from the filter as it will take any medication out of the water too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back