Ich

jhelen

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I am treating for Ich and was wondering how long after the spots are gone do I keep treating (I am also trying to cycle as well)

also how often do you do water changes while treating and do i have to vacuum the gravel right to the bottom each time?.. i dont want to clean out all the good bacteria as I have taken the carbon thing out of the filter, (which was advised to do on the medicine bottle)

while the clown loaches white spots seem to have all gone (apart from the odd one) the angelfish still seems to have them (i have been treating for 9 days) however i'm not sure if they are white spots or something else as the fins are white so its hard to tell- the lfs said that it can leave scars so it could be this..??but then how do i know when all the spots are gone?

i have: 2 clown loach
1 common pleco
4 platies
2 angelfish

20g tank (i know too many fish but they are all young and small and some will go back when they get too big)

On my QuIck Cure medicine box it says treatment should last up to 2 weeks. For your other quesitons, usually the medicine should give you directions for example : add meds for 3 days straight, then do a water change, if you see more spots then treat again for 3 days, etc. It all depends on which medicine you are using.

the medicine just says treat for 1 day for normal dosage, 3 days for extended dosage and 5 days for prolonged dosage, but the lfs said keep doing it for a while after the spots go

Yes, keep treating your fish if the spots have not gone away. But i would still quarenteen your sick fish for 2 weeks after. Maybe after you see the spots disappear, do a 20-30% water change then do a half dosage as a preventative. Remember to keep your temperature high(80-82 F) to help kill the ick parasite.

Most reactions

Back