Ich?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

The black spot on the Pseudotropheus lombardoi looks like colouration, probably stress colouration from the high temperature.

Black patches that appear on fish are irregularly shaped and normally caused by chemical poisoning or physical damage (bruising). The fish doesn't look like it has this.

The black spot on the Pseudotropheus lombardoi looks like colouration, probably stress colouration from the high temperature.

Black patches that appear on fish are irregularly shaped and normally caused by chemical poisoning or physical damage (bruising). The fish doesn't look like it has this.
So you donā€™t think itā€™s from the water? Just stress? Should I put carbon back in just to be sure? Have been testing water quality daily and lots of aeration.

it just looks like colouration from stress.

if the fish stops eating or the black spot gets bigger, then post another picture, otherwise leave it.

it just looks like colouration from stress.

if the fish stops eating or the black spot gets bigger, then post another picture, otherwise leave it.

Only 3 days left of treatment! I had to take my java fern out because it didnā€™t like the heat, but how do I make sure there is no Ich on it when I put it back in the tank?

Just leave the plant in a bucket of water without fish for 2 weeks. If there are any white spot parasites on the plant, they will hatch and die when they can't find a host to live on.

Make sure the plant gets some light while it is being quarantined.

Just leave the plant in a bucket of water without fish for 2 weeks. If there are any white spot parasites on the plant, they will hatch and die when they can't find a host to live on.

Make sure the plant gets some light while it is being quarantined.

Ok, starting to lower the temp slowly. Since I had a Marimo Moss ball and 2 Annu ias were in the tank and lived through the heat and salt treatment, they should no longer have Ich, right? Ich cannot Nude in the Moss ball?

Thank you for all your help by the way.

Ok, starting to lower the temp slowly. Since I had a Marimo Moss ball and 2 Annu ias were in the tank and lived through the heat and salt treatment, they should no longer have Ich, right? Ich cannot Nude in the Moss ball?

Thank you for all your help by the way.
*hide* not *nude*, lol

if the water temperature was at 30C (86F) for 2 weeks then any white spot parasites in that tank should be dead.

if the water temperature was at 30C (86F) for 2 weeks then any white spot parasites in that tank should be dead.

Somebody in reply to this thread said 10 days...I should have listened to you because I did 10 days and it is back. So now I start treatment for another 2 weeks? I do have a densely rocked tank for the mbunas....I did not clean the rocks or driftwood because of the bacteria, also I had a carbon holder which I bleach dipped and let sit for a day and then put seachem prime and just put back in the tank with carbon when I began to lower the temp. Most likely it is because I did not wait 2 weeks, correct? Now start at 86 add back salt and take out the carbon, or I can just leave that in? So frustrated.

I would do the heat and salt treatment again. You can leave the carbon in the tank; carbon doesn't filter out salt. Keep treating until you don't see any more white spots and then treat for another 4-6 days. I had a really bad case of ick and it kept coming back until I did salt and heat treatment. Don't worry, it just takes time:)

Make sure you keep up on your water quality otherwise you will stress out the fish and it will have a lower chance of survival.

Water quality is outstanding. So do 14 days and if no Ich, 4 more days? Last time I had not seen Ich for 6 days and a total 10 day treatment and it came back. The mbunas donā€™t seem to mind the 86 degrees and pleco seems ok too.

Yeah, I would do 14 day treatment and then 4 to 6 days longer. Ick can be tricky so sometimes you want to treat for a week after you don't see it anymore.

Last edited:
10-14 days should be sufficient. I recommend 14 days (2 weeks) because it's easy to remember.

If the white spot was gone (no longer visible) on the fish for 6 days, it should have been cured. The parasite drops off the fish after a couple of days at 30C and it hatches out after another day or two. It dies in the water at 30C and if it doesn't re-appear on the fish after 4 or 5 days (at 30C), then it should be dead.
Did you add anything to the tank during the 10 day heat treatment?
Is the thermometer correct?

Can you post a couple of pictures of the infected fish?

10-14 days should be sufficient. I recommend 14 days (2 weeks) because it's easy to remember.

If the white spot was gone (no longer visible) on the fish for 6 days, it should have been cured. The parasite drops off the fish after a couple of days at 30C and it hatches out after another day or two. It dies in the water at 30C and if it doesn't re-appear on the fish after 4 or 5 days (at 30C), then it should be dead.
Did you add anything to the tank during the 10 day heat treatment?
Is the thermometer correct?

Can you post a couple of pictures of the infected fish?

Ok, 14 days plus 4 on heat and salt and now they are starting to present with the following pictures. I thought it was from aggressivesness or lowering the temp back to normal but thinking not. It this velvet, s fungus or right before the white spots of ich come back? Should I now treat with malachite green and formalin?

Attachments

• B6E450AD-672F-48FB-B472-E79B9229BA01.jpeg
    B6E450AD-672F-48FB-B472-E79B9229BA01.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 2701E0E4-08B9-428E-BB1E-50DC681D0F5E.jpeg
    2701E0E4-08B9-428E-BB1E-50DC681D0F5E.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 6424D022-6209-4C9F-B283-573EF211AAA5.jpeg
    6424D022-6209-4C9F-B283-573EF211AAA5.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 9A7BFCDE-D98F-4F3A-8C1C-7B261EA34C23.jpeg
    9A7BFCDE-D98F-4F3A-8C1C-7B261EA34C23.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 130
Yeah, I would do 14 day treatment and then 4 to 6 days longer. Ick can be tricky so sometimes you want to treat for a week after you don't see it anymore.
Hi can you look at the reply on this thread I sent Colin T and offer advice also? I included pics.not sure if this is IHC or velvet or what. Thanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back