Ich?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stargazee

Reaction score
0fQwlmOAUgLRvkkDnPJAuwKJw

Can someone look at these vids at the Acei (blue with yellow fins) and tell me if they think it has Ich? Bought it Saturday, no signs. Sunday presented like this. Went and bought Herbvana. Next day added salt and Melafix. Raising temp (today is Wednesday) but my adjustable heater went out. Really don’t want to use chemicals and will get a heater in the morning. Ich treatments always use to kill my fish. Any advice would be great.

The site won’t allow me to post vids or photos.

Attachments

• 5648C64F-501E-492E-BCCD-06BAEBF0FC3E.jpeg
    5648C64F-501E-492E-BCCD-06BAEBF0FC3E.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 155
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

There's no link or images or video to view.

If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

---------------------------
I have no idea what Herbvana is, and salt and Melafix won't do anything to white spot.

Never add chemicals to treat fish unless you know what the problem is. Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality. The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

The safest way to treat white spot is to raise the temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, then lower the temp back to whatever it normally is.

The following link has information about white spot. The first post on page 1 and second post on page 2 are worth a read.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-is-ich.7092/

Before treating any tank you should work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Yes, I believe it had ich. Get your heater and raise temp to 86F for 10 days. Vacuum your gravel and do water changes every 24-48 hours. Good luck, all should be fine. I hope you quarantined him. If not, treat the whole tank.

If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

I have no idea what Herbvana is, and salt and Melafix won't do anything to white spot.

Never add chemicals to treat fish unless you know what the problem is. Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality. The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing.

The safest way to treat white spot is to raise the temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, then lower the temp back to whatever it normally is.

The following link has information about white spot. The first post on page 1 and second post on page 2 are worth a read.

divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

How fast can I raise water temp?

Yes, I believe it had ich. Get your heater and raise temp to 86F for 10 days. Vacuum your gravel and do water changes every 24-48 hours. Good luck, all should be fine. I hope you quarantined him. If not, treat the whole tank.

How fast can I raise water temp?

Very slowly. A couple degrees every hour or so.

Last edited:

divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

So I bought a new heater aqueoun 150 for a 36 gallon and the temp won’t get past 80.4. It’s set to 88. Should I got up on watts?

A 150 watt heater should be sufficient for a 36 gallon tank. If the heater won't go higher, then it might be dodgy. See if you can swap it for another and try another heater. If the new heater won't go above 80F then get a 200 watt heater or try a different brand.

Update: I exchanged my 100 watt heater for a 300 and also put the heater right where the filter outflow is and finally the temp is up.

watch the temperature closely because a 300watt heater in a small tank can warm the water up very quickly. Use a thermometer to monitor the temperature and don't rely on the heater setting.

watch the temperature closely because a 300watt heater in a small tank can warm the water up very quickly. Use a thermometer to monitor the temperature and don't rely on the heater setting.
Yes, I watched it like a hawk and now it’s calibrated and not moving. 87.1 and the Ich is almost all the way off the fish which means it’s going to be trying to multiply. My fish are stressed so I think that’s as high as I want to go now. In 2 or 3 days I will drop it to 86. Hopefully this is not the heat resistant strain.

86F is as high as you need to go. Going any higher doesn’t kill ich any more effectively and stresses the fish. Good luck! If it’s falling off the fish then it’s working.

86F is as high as you need to go. Going any higher doesn’t kill ich any more effectively and stresses the fish. Good luck! If it’s falling off the fish then it’s working.

Now they are presenting with blackish on their gills....is that just where the Ich was?

Attachments

• AD7608B2-D742-4B23-A1AA-973774871C66.jpeg
    AD7608B2-D742-4B23-A1AA-973774871C66.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 178

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back