I Want A Pride And Joy Fish

missigfunk

Fishaholic
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Aussieland!
Hey guys!

As the title says...I want a pride and joy fish.

I am a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR fan of the Black Ghost Knife and the Elephant nose.

I understand that they can grow quite big/long and have atleast a fair few years lifespan if looked after properly. That is perfect for me!


Now I just want to know....


1. How big of a tank should I get?
2. Can I have an elephant and a ghost in the same tank?
3. Are they hard to look after?
4. Any other important stuff I should know?




I made a post last month I think about me not being able to keep more than 1 tank...

Now I'm going to have 4!


YAY! :hyper:
 
IME, no, you cannot keep a bgk with other electrical fish in the tank (including elephant noses). Elephant noses can be kept in singly or in groups of at least 5-6 individuals, any less and they will fight. Their care is similar to bgks in their diet and sensitivity to water quality and aggression (practically nil).

Another good pride and joy fish would be puffers. There are some larger species and imo have the most personality of any fish. Rays, seahorses (sw and brackish), and piranhas also make good pride and joy fish as not too many people have them.

Ryan
 
Hi

I used to have a black ghost knife and would recommend them, but don't expect to see them all that much.

Mine used to hide behind the slate i used to have at the back of my aquarium.

Im not an expert at it, but mine was pretty easy to keep, not sure on the maximum size they can grow but i kept mine in a 24 x 12 x 12 for 3 and a bit years and she grew to about 9 inches.

I used to drop in a block of blood worm every other day and the rest of the time feed a mix of dry foods. The bgk used to eat everything.

Strangely enough, and against most peoples advice i also kept a few other fish with mine, including 3 Angels which seamed completely fine with her. *shrugs* maybe she was just a bit calmer than most of them.

But yeah i would defiantly suggest one.

:D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top