i want a bala shark

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

F

fish&chips

Now i asked couple of people about getting a bala shark to which they told me NO
do not gt 1 your tanks isnt big enough

now i have a 4ft and now thinking its 55 gallon ..from sum 1 elses post

but i keep reading wot fish people have out interest and ive seen more then 4 ppl with bala sharks rainbow sharks black shakrs

and there tank sizes are smaller then mine 3ft most
so how come no 1 says to these people there tanks arnt big enough
or ARE THEY ?

wot size tank would a bala shark need (max growth 13.8 inches

SORRY FOR ALL MY POSTS BUT IM GETTING INTO THE FISH STUFF MORE THEN I THOUGHT

damn its addictive

a couple of examples to these ppl with the fishys this isnt an attack at you or being rude just i want a shark soo bad

and i want a few ppls ideas (i have to say i helped sum 1 this morning they bought 2 sharks not knowing there gonna be 4half foot long

in a 30 gallon tank

also

I have a 160L (3 foot ..2 Guppies
2 Bala Sharks

I am worried about housing is the irredecent shark 1

another uh-oh.. and how soon will they do this? I currently JUST purchased 2 in my 30 gallon

now the irredecent shark will grow to be 4 half foot long i know i cant have 1 of those i wouldnt want 1

and reading more and mor ei learnd by having these fish in home tanks you are leading them to early life

TANK JUMPERS beings they can jump 6 foot as soon as most owners open lid they bolt out jumping to death now thats bad stuff

most known in north america ...alot newbies get sold these fish leading them to trbl

I will tell you exactly what i tell everyone else about bala sharks. They grow BIG, 13"+ in length and 6" deep, and need lots of room to swim, they are a shoaling fish which adds to the problems of keeping them as you need to have the space for 3 really. I personally wouldnt recomend a tank of less than 75 gallons (48"x24"x20") for them and bigger would be better, tanks need to be wide as well as long.
Redtailed and rainbow sharks can easily be kept in 3 foot tanks, they have a maximum size of around 6" and grow very slowly, they may be aggressive in community tanks.
Irredesent sharks (pangasius catfish) are one fish that should never be kept in anything but huge public display aquariums, they can grow to 48" + and are extreemly nervous, when they get large (12"+) the slightest movement outside the tank startles them causing them to throw themselves into the sides of the tank often injuring themselves and possibly breaking the glass.

Other sharks to stay away from unless you are going to buy a 100+ gallon tank are red finned cigar sharks and black sharks both of which grow to sizes of 20"+.

ive got 2 silver sharks in my 180 litre tank and unless they grow large overnight id say they'll be okay til i get a larger tank

Tek :fish:

FWIW I agree totally with CFC!!!!

Irridescent sharks are really only suitable for large dirt ponds as this is what they are kept in for breeding purposes.

They are mainly raised as a food fish!!!

CM

i would mostly agree with you cfc

also knowing that as you kinda stated but no fully
the Irridescent sharks IS NOT A SHARK BUT A CATFISH

it has small whiskers the same as cats
also grows to 48 inch = 4half ft my op 200 gallons and deffently not less

also the rtbs and rainbow are very simalar rnt they ???

wot is the silver shark ?Irridescent sharks ?????

ok but im getting kinda upset tho with sum ppl

the shark is the king of the sea it belongs in the sea unless you have a swimming pool for it or no for deff its ok where it will be placed

now i notice so many have bala sharks and this isnt good ......pls read more about them befor buying

fish&chips said:
the shark is the king of the sea it belongs in the sea unless you have a swimming pool for it or no for deff its ok where it will be placed
None of the so called "sharks" in the FW hobby are "true" sharks, they are all just called that because of their appearance, irredesent sharks are catfish from the pangasius family, balas, RFCS, redtails and rainbows (yes very similar) black sharks, harlequin sharks, applolo sharks and small sharks (not small at all and very aggressive) are all cyprinids.

I have a 200 gallon tank which is 66" long and 30" wide, would you consider that big enough for a irredesent shark ? No i think not, the tank wouldnt be wide enough for the fish to turn in and it would be bumping its nose on the glass with a flick of its tail. Pangasius catfish (like some other large catfish) have no place in the home aquarium!

also knowing that as you kinda stated but no fully
the Irridescent sharks IS NOT A SHARK BUT A CATFISH

it has small whiskers the same as cats
also grows to 48 inch = 4half ft my op 200 gallons and deffently not less

yea i did say that they rnt real sharks

being new i just said sharks king the sea as thats there class(shark as they look very simalar)

Most reactions

Back