I wanna feed my oto

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

susangc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
The local PetSmart had a tank of healthy looking otocinclus, so after three weeks, I bought one to deal with the algae in my new tank.

Little Mitty hangs out during the day and works on the algae at night -- he's doing a bang-up job and seems to be adjusting well. He's cleaned most of the glass and has started working on the rocks, so I bought sinking algae tablets to feed him when he was done.

I read somewhere that otos like soft food, so I dropped a tablet in around noon today to give it time to soften by dinner time. Imagine my surprise when my betta dive-bombed it to break it up and mostly polished it off! :angry:

So -- I've bought some zucchini to try on Mitty tomorrow. Assuming that Beta doesn't develop a rasping technique :sly: can Mitty survive on zucchini alone?

Susan

Mitty will do just fine on zuccini along. Actually Mitty should just be able to eat the left overs of the other fishes food and algae in the tank. I have 12 in my 20gal tank...and they are doing just great eating the existing algae and eating the left overs that the fish don't get. They are pretty much the clean up crew. Zuccini, Romane lettuce, Cucumber, Butternut squash, and okra slices are some of the things i give to mine as special treats now and then. Work out a special schedual for them also...it will make Mitty happy!!

Yeah I always see Plecos on the side of the algae wafer bags, but my cories and swordtails devour the wafers before the Pleco can even get out from under the rock! The natural foods seem to be better for Plecos and other algae-eaters since most of the other fish leave those alone. I also suggest breaking up the wafers since more fish have access to it when it's in several pieces.

My otos will eat algae wafers withour having to do anything to them. Also you should get a couple more otos since they enjoy the company of other otos and don't do well on their own.

Many of my fish have learned to grab algae tablets on the way down, especially my apollo sharks. They can't do much with them until they soften up, but the sharks really nail the wafers when I drop them in. As they soften, my bala sharks, corys and golden gourami all nibble on them. My largest pleco is trying to learn to carry the wafers away to escape the competition.

Thanks, everyone -- I'll be interested to see if Mitty bothers to dig out the tablet crumbs!

Susan

diVer said:
My otos will eat algae wafers withour having to do anything to them. Also you should get a couple more otos since they enjoy the company of other otos and don't do well on their own.
:nod: Definatley! They are schooling fish pretty much as get lonely. They are only ickle after all.

Most reactions

Back